Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Arabs ‘disappointed’ by Clinton stance on Israel

Arab foreign ministers on Monday are likely to tell United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton they are disappointed she did not exert more pressure on Israel to freeze settlements, the head of the Arab League said.

Clinton was to begin sounding out Arab officials after a meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu at which she endorsed Israel’s view that settlement expansion in the West Bank should not be a bar to resuming negotiations.

Arab League Secretary-General Amr Moussa said Arab states shared the Palestinian position that resuming negotiations was futile without a halt on settlement expansion.

”I am telling you that all of us, including Saudi Arabia, including Egypt, are deeply disappointed … with the results, with the fact that Israel can get away with anything without any firm stand that this cannot be done,” Moussa told reporters on Monday in the Moroccan city of Marrakesh, where Clinton is to meet Arab foreign ministers.

Asked if US President Barack Obama’s initiative to restart the Israeli-Palestinian peace process had failed, he said: ”I am really afraid that we are about to see a failure.”

”But I still wait until we have our meetings and decide what we are going to do. But failure is in the atmosphere all over.”

Clinton met Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Saturday in Abu Dhabi before heading to Israel to talk to Netanyahu.

In Morocco, she was to hold a bilateral meeting with Saudi Foreign Minister Prince Saud al-Faisal as well as group meetings with Gulf Arab ministers and officials from Egypt, Jordan and Iraq on the sidelines of a Morocco development conference.

She was also due to meet Morocco’s King Mohammed at one of his palaces in the desert city of Ouarzazate.

Palestinians have already reacted angrily to Clinton’s comments and called for a ”unified Palestinian-Arab position” on the stalled peace process.

US officials sought to downplay Clinton’s statement in Jerusalem, repeating that Washington had serious issues with Israel’s settlement policy but believed that the most important thing now was to get negotiations going.

But they underscored a shift in US. policy that began in September, when US President Barack Obama himself called only for ”restraint” in Israeli settlement activity rather than the ”freeze” he had earlier demanded.

Netanyahu has proposed limiting building for now to about 3 000 settler homes already approved by Israel in the West Bank. He does not regard building in occupied East Jerusalem, annexed in defiance of international opposition, as settlement.

Palestinians have accused Washington of pressuring them to accommodate Israeli intransigence, effectively shutting the door to future talks.

”The negotiations are in a state of paralysis, and the result of Israel’s intransigence and America’s back-pedaling is that there is no hope of negotiations on the horizon,” Abbas spokesperson Nabil Abu Rdainah said on Sunday.

Abbas faces intense domestic pressure from Hamas Islamists who control the Gaza Strip, and any compromise on settlements could hurt him politically in a run-up to Palestinian elections he has scheduled for January 24. Hamas has rejected holding a vote.

About 500 000 Israelis live in the West Bank and East Jerusalem alongside 2,8-million Palestinians. Israel captured the territories in a 1967 war with its Arab neighbours. Palestinians say settlements could deny them a viable state. — Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

South Africa’s mothballed ‘supermall-ification’ sets strip malls up for success

Analysts agree that the country has enough malls and that, post-Covid, the convenience of local centres lure customers

Mabuza’s Russian jaunts and the slippery consequences of medical tourism

For more than five years the deputy president has remained steadfast in his right to travel abroad to receive medical treatment

More top stories

SA teens, you’re next in the queue for a vaccine...

Teenagers between the ages of 12 and 17 will be able to register to receive their Covid-19 jab from 20 October. This group will be given only one dose of the Pfizer vaccine, for now

Former US secretary of state Colin Powell dies aged 84

The 84-year-old died as a result of complications from Covid-19

Kunming Declaration on biodiversity: A show of political will that...

More than 100 countries pledged to better protect nature at UN biodiversity talks last week

Russia’s Sputnik V Covid-19 vaccine turned down over HIV concerns

The vaccine might increase the risk of vaccinated males getting HIV, says SA’s health products regulatory authority
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×