Nestlé reopens in Zimbabwe

Nestlé has reopened its factory in Zimbabwe after receiving assurances from the government that its business will not be interfered with again, a government official said on Tuesday.

The Swiss food company shut its Harare factory last month, complaining of harassment by authorities after it stopped taking milk supplies from a farm that had reportedly been seized by
members of President Robert Mugabe’s family.

The move was widely seen as a setback to efforts by the new power-sharing government to attract foreign investors in a bid to revamp a battered economy.

Industry and Commerce Minister Welshman Ncube said on Tuesday he had been assigned to meet with Nestlé management and assure them
that their concerns would be addressed. “We cannot afford to lose investors at this stage when we are rebuilding the economy,” he said.

Government interference
A worker at the Nestlé plant in Harare meanwhile said: “I hope the government stops affecting our operations here. It is hard to find employment in this country these days.”


Nestlé last month said its decision to shut the facility had been prompted by an unannounced visit from government officials and police on December 19, after which the firm was forced to accept a milk delivery from non-contracted suppliers.

Two company executives, including expatriate managing director Heath Tilley, were questioned by police and released without charge the same day.

Nestlé, has been operating in Zimbabwe for 50 years and employs more than 200 people in the southern African nation.

Last October, the company stopped buying milk from Gushungo Dairy Estate following international criticism of a deal agreed earlier in the year. The farm had been seized under Mugabe’s controversial land reform programme which targets mainly whites.

Farm seizures
Critics say Mugabe’s seizure of white-owned commercial farms, which began in 2000 — officially to resettle landless black Zimbabweans who have no farming experience — has ruined the once-prosperous country.

Mugabe, in power since independence from Britain in 1980, says Zimbabwe’s economic crisis is due to sanctions imposed by Western nations in response to land reform. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC’s rotten apples on the chopping block

Now that the NEC has finalised its step-aside guidelines for those facing corruption charges, a swathe of officials will struggle to cling to their positions

The race elephant lurking in the DA’s ‘laboratory’

Tony Leon’s comments calling Mmusi Maimane an ‘experiment’ have lifted the lid on what disgruntled black leaders describe as insidious racism and a refusal to hold racists to account

More top stories

More ethnically diverse bone marrow donors needed to save lives

The myth that regenerative stem cells are body parts has led to donor reluctance

Khaya Sithole: The real weapons of mass destruction

Ratings agencies and derivatives caused the housing bubble, but where does the next financial crisis lurk?

Analysts expecting another attack ‘in the next few months’ in...

The extremist insurgency in Mozambique has been an ongoing threat since 2017. SADC needs to act now, say analysts

SIU probes how master of the high court fleeces the...

While the SIU delves into dozens of allegations of fraud, corruption and misconduct against officials at the master of the high court, many families have been left destitute after the death of their loved ones.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…