CCMA postpones McBride hearing

The CCMA has postponed hearings into former Ekurhuleni police chief Robert McBride’s attempts to get his job back pending the outcome of a Salga case.

The Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) was to have resumed its hearings of the matter on Wednesday, said CCMA director Nerine Kahn.

However, the Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Municipality obtained an order from the Johannesburg Labour Court on Monday preventing the CCMA from proceeding, she said.

The order was granted on the basis that a case was proceeding in the SA Local Government Association (Salga) bargaining council. The CCMA would comply with the order, Kahn said.

No date had been set for the resumption of the CCMA hearing. This would depend on the finalisation of the other case.


Reinstated
McBride wants to be reinstated in his job after his dismissal in September 2008 while on special leave, pending the completion of his trial for allegedly being under the influence of alcohol when he crashed his car in Centurion in December 2006.

He was sacked after publicly stepping in to help deal with xenophobic attacks in 2008.

Even though his contract with the municipality ended in November 2008, McBride has contended he had been led to believe he would be kept on until the world cup.

He argued in the CCMA that his dismissal was unfair and in violation of his collective agreement.

McBride is on trial in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on charges of driving under the influence of alcohol, reckless or negligent driving, defeating the ends of justice and fraud relating to the crash on the R511. The case is expected to resume on March 23.

A doctor accused of giving McBride a false medical certificate after the crash went on trial in the Pretoria Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday on charges of fraud and defeating the ends of justice.

Dr Joseph Moratioa has pleaded not guilty. His trial continues on March 1. — Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Political interference mounts over SABC retrenchments

The SABC says it needs to cut R700-million to survive. But senior politicians have allegedly interfered to stop retrenchments from proceeding

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Unemployment fund, CCMA face jobs bloodbath

State bodies shielding workers have been weakened by budget cuts and high demands

Possible lockdown retrenchments are already soaring

After just three months of lockdown, more than 100 000 workers could lose their jobs

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts
Advertising

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday