Court dismisses Selebi’s application for discharge

The South Gauteng High Court on Monday morning dismissed an application by former police national commissioner Jackie Selebi to have the charges against him thrown out.

Judge Meyer Joffe refused Selebi's application for a discharge in less than a minute, saying that he "carefully attended to the application, attentively listened to oral representations and considered the matter carefully".

Selebi faces charge of corruption and defeating the ends of justice.

Joffe also ruled Selebi's contention that he has not received a fair trial should be argued at the end of the case.

Selebi's counsel, Jaap Cilliers, told the court he intends only calling four or five witnesses for the defence, including deputy police national commissioner Andre Pruis.

Pruis is heading security for the Soccer World Cup and was out of the country for the past four weeks. According to Cilliers, Pruis was also in charge of security arrangements at the court appearance of the alleged killers of AWB leader Eugene Terre'Blanche in Ventersdorp last week, and this prohibited him from consulting with Pruis.

Cilliers's request for a postponement of two full days was granted and the case will resume on Thursday.

Cilliers wasn't clear on whether Selebi will take the witness stand, but said, apart from the accused, he will call only four or five witnesses "who will testify for only 10 to 20 minutes each".

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.


To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

The recovered remain cautious

People who have survived Covid-19 are not going through life carefree. They are still taking all the preventative measures

Lockdown relief scheme payouts to employees tops R14-billion

Now employers and employees can apply to the Unemployment Insurance Fund for relief scheme payments
Advertising

Press Releases

Covid-19 and Frontline Workers

Who is caring for the healthcare workers? 'Working together is how we are going to get through this. It’s not just a marathon, it’s a relay'.

PPS webinar Part 2: Small business, big risk

The risks that businesses face and how they can be dealt with are something all business owners should be well acquainted with

Call for applications for the position of GCRO executive director

The Gauteng City-Region Observatory is seeking to appoint a high-calibre researcher and manager to be the executive director and to lead it

DriveRisk stays safe with high-tech thermal camera solution

Itec Evolve installed the screening device within a few days to help the driver behaviour company become compliant with health and safety regulations

Senwes launches Agri Value Chain Food Umbrella

South African farmers can now help to feed the needy by donating part of their bumper maize crop to delivery number 418668

Ethics and internal financial controls add value to the public sector

National treasury is rolling out accounting technician training programmes to upskill those who work in its finance units in public sector accounting principles

Lessons from South Korea for Africa’s development

'Leaders can push people through, through their vision and inspiration, based on their exemplary actions'

Old Mutual announces digital AGM

An ambitious plan to create Africa’s biggest digital classroom is intended to address one of the continent’s biggest challenges — access to education

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday