Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

No talks until Israel halts settlements, PLO says

Direct talks with Israel will not resume unless it halts the building of Jewish settlements on occupied land, the Palestinian leadership said on Saturday.

United States-backed peace talks, launched a month ago in Washington, were plunged into crisis this week by the end of a 10-month Israeli moratorium on new settlement building in the West Bank. Israel has said it will not extend the freeze.

“The resumption of talks requires tangible steps, the first of them a freeze on settlements,” Yasser Abed Rabbo, a senior Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) official, said after a meeting of the body’s executive committee in Ramallah.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas have held three rounds of face-to-face negotiations since September 2.

“The Palestinian leadership holds Israel responsible for obstructing the negotiations,” said Abed Rabbo. Abbas, head of the PLO, chaired the meeting.

US envoy George Mitchell, who met Arab League head Amr Moussa and intelligence chief Omar Suleiman in Cairo on Saturday, said the United States remained committed to a two-state solution despite challenges.

“Peace in the region and an independent and viable state for the Palestinian people will be realistically achieved through direct negotiations,” Mitchell told reporters.

“This is a difficult process … We know there have been and will be many more obstacles, but we must work to overcome the challenges and we are doing so,” he said.

Asked about possible options to resolve the impasse, Moussa said there were solutions but declined to elaborate ahead of an Arab League summit in Libya on October 8.

Netanyahu called on Abbas to continue negotiating.

“Just one month ago the Palestinians entered direct peace talks, without preconditions, after my government made a series of unilateral gestures to get the talks moving,” Netanyahu said in a statement after the PLO decision.

“I hope now they will not turn their backs on peace and continue the talks in order to reach a framework agreement in a year,” he said.

The end of the settlement freeze had been flagged as an early stumbling block facing US President Barack Obama’s attempt to reach a Middle East peace deal within a year. Israel imposed the freeze under US pressure.

Abbas had said he would pull out of direct talks if Israel did not extend the freeze. The PLO statement said the Palestinians would discuss their next steps with the Arab League’s peace process committee at the summit in Libya.

“The Palestinian calculation is that the Americans will continue their efforts to try to bring about a formula that may be acceptable to the Palestinian side,” said George Giacaman, a political scientist at Birzeit University near Ramallah.

“I would not say that the process has ended. The American administration will continue pursuing the matter.”

Biblical past
Palestinians say the growth of the settlements, on land Israel has occupied since 1967, will render impossible the establishment of a Palestinian state in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the stated goal of the peace talks.

About 500 000 Jews have settled on territory where the Palestinians hope to establish their state with East Jerusalem as its capital. To Israel, the West Bank is “Judea and Samaria”, where the Jews trace their biblical past.

Netanyahu, whose coalition government is dominated by pro-settlement parties including his own Likud, has said he would not extend the moratorium that expired on Monday.

An official quoted Netanyahu on Friday as saying it had not been easy to freeze construction for the past 10 months and that he had lived up to his commitments to the Palestinians, the United States and the international community.

“Now I expect the Palestinians to show some flexibility,” Netanyahu was quoted as saying. “Everyone knows that measured and restrained building in Judea and Samaria in the coming year will have no influence on the peace map.”

Mitchell shuttled between Abbas and Netanyahu for two days this week. The two sides agreed to keep talking via Mitchell, the way they had communicated before beginning the direct talks. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Tourism industry hopeful of UK red list review

Meeting between scientists of both countries may pave way for removal from red list

R350 social relief grant not enough to live on

Nearly half of the population in South Africa — one of the most unequal countries in the world — is considered chronically poor.

More top stories

Tourism industry hopeful of UK red list review

Meeting between scientists of both countries may pave way for removal from red list

Triple murder in Khayelitsha investigated by police

Three young women have been shot dead execution-style in one of Cape Town’s gang-riddled communities

Q&A Sessions: Kagiso Rabada — ‘When I retire, I will...

Kagiso Rabada talks to Eyaaz Matwadia about his love for music and production, how the lockdown affected him, and how he hopes to get back to his best

State to subpoena and fact-check Agrizzi’s ‘illness’ claims

The National Prosecuting Authority will conduct its own probe into Angelo Agrizzi’s claims of ill health, after he failed to attend court again
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×