Charges against Agliotti to come under scrutiny

The South Gauteng High Court will hear argument on Friday over whether Brett Kebble’s murder-accused Glenn Agliotti had a case to answer.

Agliotti’s defence team led by Advocate Laurance Hodes applied for a discharge of all four charges at the convicted drug trafficker’s last appearance on October 26.

The state is opposing the application.

The defence closed its case after calling fewer than 10 witnesses at the end of last month. A key witness, Kebble’s security boss Clinton Nassif, was questioned for days by Hodes. He meticulously pointed out contradictions in Nassif’s testimony to the court, compared to his signed statements.

Charges against Agliotti
Agliotti was arrested in 2006 for the 2005 shooting of mining magnate Kebble. He has been out on bail since — but spent a large amount of time under house arrest. This part of his bail conditions was lifted in August 2010.

He is facing four charges: one of murder, one charge of attempted murder and two counts of conspiracy to commit murder.

The murder charge relates to the 2005 shooting of Kebble in Melrose.

Agliotti is further accused of conspiring to kill Alan Gray auditor Stephen Mildenhall, Jean Daniel Nortier, Dr Mark Bristow and Mark Wellesley Woods.

The attempted murder charge relates to the shooting of Mildenhall in Cape Town in August 2005. — Sapa

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

US conduct regarding Taiwan evinces a dangerous and ignorant strain...

It underestimates the role of face-saving, which is central to Chinese culture, and the country’s priorities, such as attaining the Chinese Dream

Eskom: Stage two load-shedding tonight

Continued blackouts highly likely on Wednesday and Thursday, the energy entity added

MPs dismiss Mkhwebane’s call to subpoena Ramaphosa

The president’s evidence is not necessary to determine whether she is guilty of misconduct, the section 194 committee concludes

Marikana: There should have been disciplinary proceeding, says Ian Farlam

The chair of the commission of inquiry says a personal apology from Cyril Ramaphosa would help families of the dead to heal
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×