Latest Harry Potter film whets appetite for saga’s finale

Critics mostly applauded the latest “dark and despairing” Harry Potter film on Friday just hours after its young stars were contemplating their future at its world premiere in London.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One is the first of two movies based on the seventh and final book by JK Rowling, and its premiere was an emotional event for its stars who have literally grown up on set.

Although early reviews praise the film’s shift to the dark side, most are left feeling that it is merely an appetiser for the series finale next July.

Hollywood entertainment magazine Variety judged the film “dark and despairing” and “lumbering and gripping by turns, suffused with a profound sense of solitude and loss”.

Britain’s Independent newspaper celebrated “some beguiling scenes” before calling it “an entrée before the main course next summer”.


The Guardian‘s review however was dismissive of the whole franchise.

Too lacking in wit, warmth, humanity’
Deathly Hallows looks great, in the way that a show home looks great,” it said. There was a lingering suspicion, it added, that the whole series was “too lacking in wit, warmth and humanity to survive much beyond the moment”.

Filming on both Part One — which hits the screens in most of the world on November 19 — and Part Two ended earlier this year.

Thousands of fans gathered in Leicester Square on Thursday to catch a glimpse of Daniel Radcliffe (21) Emma Watson, (20) and Rupert Grint (22) who play Harry and his best friends Hermione and Ron in all eight films in the series.

The central trio of actors are now multimillionaires though facing an uncertain future as they throw off their on-screen characters and face the world as adults.

“It has been a huge part of my life and I think I am always going to look back on it with fantastic memories,” Radcliffe told Sky News on the red carpet.

“But 10 years as one character is a long time and I am ready to move on as well.”

He added: “The fans would have been livid had we tried to make this into one film, we would not have been able to honour the book at all.”

‘I grew up on that set’
Watson, sporting a short haircut she was never allowed to have as Hermione, said: “It’s really emotional, I cried the first time I watched the film.

“It has so many memories for me, we made this over a space of two years and I grew up on that set and it’s just very strange that it’s coming to an end.”

Despite the driving rain, fans had gathered in Leicester Square, the traditional home of movie premieres in Britain, several hours before the screening.

One fan’s placard paid tribute to Rowling, saying: “You made our childhoods magic, Jo.”

“We’ve read all the books and seen all the movies, I’ve lost count of how many times, around three or four times, I guess,” said Sheba Sahir (23).

The first Harry Potter film was released in 2001, four years after Rowling published her first book, and the six movies made so far have earned $5,4-billion globally.

Each installment follows Harry and his friends as they progress through Hogwarts school of wizardry and battle the rising forces of the evil Lord Voldemort, who killed Harry’s parents and seems intent on destroying him too.

In Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part One, Voldemort and his evil henchmen control huge swathes of the wizarding world and Harry is constantly in danger.

Harry, Hermione and Ron leave behind the safety of school and their families and set out alone to seek out horcruxes, items in which Voldemort has hidden pieces of his soul, so they can destroy them and ultimately bring him down.

It ends on a cliffhanger, with the resolution of the whole series in Part Two. That will cover a final, explosive battle between Potter and his allies and Voldemort’s dark forces.

Other members of the all-star cast appeared at the premiere, including the Oscar-nominated British actors Helena Bonham-Carter and Ralph Fiennes, who plays Voldemort.

Rowling made clear she was not currently writing any more Potter books.

“I think it’s unlikely but I’ll never say never,” she said. “At the moment I’ve got no plans to do that.

“If I did another one, I think it would be highly unlikely Harry would be the central character. I think that story is done.”

More than 400-million copies of the Potter books have been sold and they have been translated into 69 languages. – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

The grey areas in Jake White’s coaching career

The World Cup-winning coach has an impeccable CV, with an illustrious coaching career that has taken him all over the globe. But he has a reputation problem

Chefs switch to mini dynamos

The small but mighty microgreens are being grown in urban farms and used in local menus

The mystical everyday

The world is hilariously strange yet beautifully familiar in Jonas Lekganyane’s animated series

Jacob Zuma and the invisibility cloak

The presidency released a statement that Zuma has in fact been in Parliament. The reason you can’t see him? Magic.

JK Rowling supports fight against Scottish independence

The Harry Potter author believes Scotland is better off remaining in the United Kingdom, unlike famous Scots Sean Connery and Irvine Welsh.

Harry Potter’s Radcliffe evolves with darker roles

Not long ago, Daniel Radcliffe traded in his black-rimmed Harry Potter glasses for a bold acting choice. And he has never looked back.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday