‘Bad Brad’ gets bail

Former Big Brother celebrity Brad Wood was granted R15 000 bail when he and three others appeared in the Benoni Magistrate’s Court on Monday, Wood said.

“It went well. I got R15 000 bail and I need to return to court on January 27,” he said in a telephonic interview with South African Press Association.

The other accused received R2 000 bail each.

He said on January 27 the case would be transferred to the North Gauteng High Court for proceedings to start.

“We have been charged with four counts of murder and six of attempted murder.”

Wood and his co-accused handed themselves in to Benoni police on Monday morning for their alleged role in deaths of four illegal miners at the Aurora Grootvlei mine in Springs.

Aurora spokesperson Thulani Ngubane said the company did not want to comment on the matter.

Despite the incident, Wood said he was still an Aurora employee. Court proceedings were completed around noon and he said he was glad to be back home. However he was disgusted with the conditions in which detainees were transferred to the court in police vans.

“There were 40 easily squashed into one van.”

However he was “100% happy to get things going” and said they had co-operated with the police since day one.


“The truth must come out and will come out.”

The Star named the other accused as security guard Nicolas Pretorius and mine captains Herbie Trouw and Willem Coetzer. — Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday