Misrata rebels officially plead for Western troops

A senior official of the rebel council governing the besieged Libyan city of Misrata said on Tuesday it was formally asking for Western troops to intervene to protect them from loyalist forces.

Nuri Abdullah Abdullati told reporters that they were asking for a Nato or United Nations (UN) force — notably “French and British soldiers” — on the basis of “humanitarian” principles.

“If they don’t come, we will die,” he said.

The rebels in Misrata have no direct contact with coalition forces. Abdullati said the request had been sent to the rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) in Benghazi in a letter last week, but there had been no immediate reply.

It was the first time rebel authorities in Libya have appealed for foreign ground forces. Previously, they rejected the idea.


“We did not accept any foreign soldiers in our country,” Abdullati said.

“But now, as we face these crimes of [strongman Muammar] Gaddafi, we are asking on the basis of humanitarian and Islamic principles for someone to come and stop the killing.”

He noted that the Qur’an stipulated that if help is not available from Muslims, it is acceptable from Christians.

“Before we were asking for no foreign interference, but that was before Gaddafi used Grad rockets and planes. Now it’s a life or death situation,” he said.

“Even if 400 000 people die, and 100 000 people live, it will be a victory,” he said, stressing that this is an “urgent” situation.

Ten a day
Abdullati, a judge before the conflict, is one of 17 members of Misrata’s judicial committee, the top tier of the city’s rebel governing council.

His plea came as Gaddafi and rebel forces exchanged fierce and heavy gunfire and rockets in the south-east of Misrata.

The din subsided only briefly when Nato planes were heard overhead, but picked up immediately afterwards.

Many in Misrata are asking what Nato is doing to help them, but the situation on the ground makes it difficult for the air alone intervention alone to make a difference, with many battles being fought street by street.

Gaddafi forces, pushing forward on three sides, are using Grad multiple rocket launchers and cluster bombs in residential areas of the city, killing and maiming many civilians.

Tripoli has denied the use of cluster munitions — banned in most countries — but reporters, medics, residents and human rights groups have recovered debris from the bombs, giving the lie to that denial.

Around 10 people are dying and 30 are wounded every day in the fighting in Misrata, which began March 6.

‘The humanitarian priority’
The city, with a population of 500 000 including outlying villages, has been under siege for nearly two months, with energy, food, water, fuel and medicine all running out.

Lines of up to seven hours form in front of service stations in relatively safe areas, and electricity generation for the city is less than 20% of it was before the conflict, forcing hospitals to use generators.

Refugee charities have called the situation “the humanitarian priority” in Libya. Some fear a mass exodus by boat of Misrata residents, creating a refugee crisis for Europe.

A Nato commander, Dutch Brigadier General Mark van Uhm, said on Tuesday the alliance’s air power had only limited effect in stopping Gaddafi’s forces attacking Misrata.

France and Britain, which are leading the air strikes, are resisting the idea of sending in ground forces, saying it could violate the terms of a UN resolution barring a foreign “occupation” force.

But the Misrata rebels said they would view a foreign force as a “humanitarian” operation to militarily aid their struggling fighters.

Some estimates put the rebel force at 5 000 or less, and Gaddafi’s force besieging the city at more than 20 000 — equipped with tanks and heavy artillery. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Marc Burleigh
Marc Burleigh
AFP journalist - Based in Paris. Previously: Central America, Tehran, São Paulo, London, Sydney.

Related stories

Time is not on our side in Libya

Simmering tensions could see the country partitioned between east and west

Life in the time of coronavirus

Self-diagnosis and symptoms are recipe for paranoia — just see the doc, take the meds and Bob’s your uncle

Soleimani air strike: Why this is a dangerous escalation of US assassination policy

The Trump administration is only the latest to push the boundaries of the law to take out foreign adversaries

More civilians now killed by US, Afghan forces than by insurgents — UN

The bloody milestone comes as the US steps up its air campaign in Afghanistan while pushing for a peace deal with the Taliban

It’s too early to celebrate

People power can break a dictatorship – but what comes next?

Libya clashes death toll rises to 32: UN-backed government

Clashes near Tripoli in Sunday have killed at least 32 people, with a further 50 people left wounded
Advertising

Western Cape warned not to be complacent about flat-lining Covid-19...

The Western Cape, which once had the highest number of Covid-19 cases in South Africa, is seeing a steady decline in active cases

Sisulu axes another water board

Umgeni Water’s board in KwaZulu-Natal was appointed irregularly by her predecessor, the water and sanitation minister claims
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday