Gaddafi son defiant as Libya rebels plead for help

A rebel official in Libya’s besieged city of Misrata pleaded for Britain and France to send troops to help fight Muammar Gaddafi’s forces, while a son of the strongman said he was “very optimistic” his father’s regime will prevail.

A senior member of Misrata’s governing council, Nuri Abdullah Abdullati, said they were asking for the troops on the basis of “humanitarian” principles, in the first request by insurgents for boots on the ground.

Previously, he told reporters, “we did not accept any foreign soldiers in our country, but now, as we face these crimes of Gaddafi, we are asking on the basis of humanitarian and Islamic principles for someone to come and stop the killing.”

“Before we were asking for no foreign interference, but that was before Gaddafi used Grad rockets and planes. Now it’s a life-or-death situation.”

His plea came as Gaddafi and rebel forces engaged in fierce fighting in south-east Misrata.


The din subsided only briefly when Nato planes were heard overhead, but picked up immediately afterwards.

The rebels in Misrata, which has been under siege for more than a month and seen hundreds killed, have no direct contact with coalition forces. Abdullati said the request was sent last week to the rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) in Benghazi, but there had yet been no reply.

‘Optimistic’
Separately, Seif al-Islam, a son of Gaddafi, said he was confident the rebellion would fail.

“I am very optimistic and we will win,” Seif said on Allibya television.

“The situation changes every day in our favour,” he said before a group of about 50 attending the television broadcast. He did not give details.

Seif vowed that his father’s regime would “not seek revenge” against the rebels fighting to oust him.

But he warned that “the use of weapons and force will only be met by force and those who cross the four red lines, set in 2007 [Gaddafi, Islam, state security and national unity] will have to bear the consequences”.

British Foreign Secretary William Hague said London would send 12 military advisers to rebel-held eastern Libya, but that they would not be involved in training or arming the rebels, or help in planning operations.

“They’re not boots on the ground, this is not British ground combat forces going in … There is going to be no ground invasion of Libya,” Hague told BBC television.

Hague said the British advisers would help rebels develop organisational structures, communications and logistics and coordinate humanitarian aid and medical supplies.

Libyan Foreign Minister Abdelati Laabidi told the BBC such a move would harm chances of peace in the country and “prolong” fighting.

“We think any military presence is a step backwards and we are sure that if this bombing stopped and there is a real ceasefire we could have a dialogue among all Libyans about what they want — democracy, political reform, constitution, election. This could not be done with what is going on now,” Laabidi said.

French Foreign Minister Alain Juppe said he was “entirely hostile” to sending troops into Libya, even special forces to guide in air strikes.

Political solution
But Prime Minister Francois Fillon said France will “intensify our military effort from our air force to prevent Gaddafi forces from pursuing their attacks on civilian populations”.

“But at the same time, we will need to find a political solution — that is, conditions for a dialogue so that the Libyan crisis can be resolved,” he said in Kiev.

Italian Foreign Minister Franco Frattini said the conflict had so far killed 10 000 people and wounded 55 000, citing TNC figures.

Frattini, speaking in Rome after talks with rebel leader Mustafa Abdel Jalil, also said Italy will host talks next month on allowing oil exports from eastern Libya and could provide rebels with night-vision kit and radars.

France and Britain, which launched the first air strikes on March 19, have struggled to convince allies to intensify the air war while Nato commanders are scrambling to obtain even a few more ground-attack jets.

Meanwhile, the world community scrambled to provide humanitarian aid to Libya and to evacuate those fleeing the fighting, mostly foreign workers.

With thousands clamouring to escape Misrata, Britain said it would charter ships to pick up 5 000 migrant workers after a ferry rescued nearly 1 000 on Monday. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Marc Burleigh
Marc Burleigh
AFP journalist - Based in Paris. Previously: Central America, Tehran, São Paulo, London, Sydney.

Related stories

UN Libya rights probe stalled due to cashflow problems

The UN is currently going through a serious liquidity crisis because many countries have not paid their annual dues, and it is therefore unable to fulfil all its mandates

Time is not on our side in Libya

Simmering tensions could see the country partitioned between east and west

Life in the time of coronavirus

Self-diagnosis and symptoms are recipe for paranoia — just see the doc, take the meds and Bob’s your uncle

Soleimani air strike: Why this is a dangerous escalation of US assassination policy

The Trump administration is only the latest to push the boundaries of the law to take out foreign adversaries

UN attacks ‘ghastly’ conditions in Libya migrant detention centres

According to UN figures, some 3 400 migrants and refugees remain detained in Tripoli, which has seen a surge in fighting since early April

It’s too early to celebrate

People power can break a dictatorship – but what comes next?
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Vitamin therapy is for drips

It may be marketed by influencers, but intravenous vitamin therapy is not necessary and probably not worth the hype, experts say

Facebook, Instagram indiscriminately flag #EndSars posts as fake news

Fact-checking is appropriate but the platforms’ scattershot approach has resulted in genuine information and messages about Nigerians’ protest against police brutality being silenced

Murder of anti-mining activist emboldens KZN community

Mam’Ntshangase was described as a fierce critic of mining and ambassador for land rights.

Unite with Nigeria’s ‘Speak Up’ generation protesting against police brutality

Photos of citizens draped in the bloodied flag have spread around the world in the month the country should be celebrating 60 years of independence
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday