FA silent over Ferguson reply to ref charge

England’s Football Association (FA) have taken the unusual step of refusing to reveal whether or not Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has accepted his latest improper conduct charge.

The matter is now with the governing body’s disciplinary committee and normally at such a time the FA announce how those charged have responded.

Ferguson, in hot water already this season for remarks about match officials, found himself in trouble again after complimenting World Cup final referee Howard Webb ahead of champions United’s key Premier League match against Chelsea, last season’s title-winners, at Old Trafford on May 8.

The FA’s decision to charge Ferguson for those remarks prompted widespread criticism and even his longstanding rival, Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger sympathised with him.

“He is entitled to have that opinion. To me, it doesn’t look to be a major problem to say that somebody is good,” said Wenger.


“I would not charge him for that.”

Ferguson was handed a five-match touchline ban by the FA earlier this term for his derogatory comments about referee Martin Atkinson during United’s match at Chelsea’s Stamford Bridge ground.

But whether remarks are positive or negative cuts no ice with the FA, who in October warned all managers that any pre-match comments whatsoever regarding referees would be interpreted as an attempt to influence an official and so be in contravention of their rules.

The latest charge is an unwelcome distraction for Ferguson as he prepares United for their Champions League final against Spanish giants Barcelona at Wembley on May 28.

An FA statement issued Monday said: “We have received correspondence from Manchester United with respect of the improper conduct charge issued to Sir Alex Ferguson on May 13.

“The matter will be dealt with by the disciplinary committee in due course.” — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Lala kahle Kaunda Ntunja

South African rugby has lost a gentle giant in Kaunda Ntunja. His commentary in isiXhosa poetically ushered in the Springboks’ first black captain and ‘popped champagne’ after Mapimpi’s magic

Manchester City CAS ruling counts for everything and nothing

It may leave a sour taste in the mouth, but the lack of sanction for Manchester City, aside from a fine that amounts to small change, doesn’t affect the bigger picture

Klopp and his Beatles move on from ‘Yesterday’

The wait was long and painful, from the endless jokes to that Steven Gerrard slip. But after 30 years Liverpool are finally Premier League champions of England

Five talking points from the EPL’s return

The Premier League returned after three months. Here are the things we learnt over the weekend

Football will define its own destiny as it returns to a strange world

The superstars of the Premier League are back and how they do will determine whether they remain relevant – on and off the pitch

Red Devils have found their superstar

In Bruno Fernandes the club have finally found that talismanic midfield playmaker to build a team around
Advertising

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed

White men still rule and earn more

Women and black people occupy only a few seats at the JSE table, the latest PwC report has found

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend

ANC still at odds over how to tackle leaders facing...

The ANC’s top six has been mandated to work closely with its integrity committee to tackle claims of corruption against senior party members
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday