UN warns Ouattara over increased violence

The United Nations mission in Côte d’Ivoire accused the armed forces of President Alassane Ouattara on Thursday of stepping up attacks and violence in the south and west, and demanded an immediate investigation.

The mission is “particularly concerned about the increase of violent incidents and attacks carried out by elements of the RFIC (Republican Forces of Ivory Coast) against several villages,” its human rights officer Guillaume Ngefa told reporters.

He urged “immediate and impartial inquiries” into attacks carried out in recent days around the economic capital Abidjan in the south, as well as villages in the central and southern west of the country.

The areas he referred to are known to be home to supporters of Ouattara’s rival, ex-president Laurent Gbagbo, who is under house arrest.

RFIC troops backed by the United Nations and France arrested Gbagbo on April 11, bringing an end to a bitter fight between the two men for the presidency of the world’s leading cocoa producer.


The dispute arose from Gbagbo’s rejection of the UN-backed election commission’s ruling that he lost November presidential elections. He had led Ivory Coast for around 10 years.

Ouattara’s side says that close to 3 000 people were killed in the standoff, which peaked in 10 days of fighting in Abidjan and also saw bloodshed in the west.

Tens of thousands of people fled their homes to escape the violence.

Both sides in the conflict have been accused of atrocities.

Ouattara, who was sworn in last month, has vowed to investigate the alleged atrocities and also to build reconciliation.

The International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH) said Tuesday that abuses were continuing weeks after the end of the fight for the presidency.

The new government must “commit to pursuing legal action against those responsible for serious violations of human rights” on the part of Gbagbo as well as Ouattara, its president Souhayir Belhassen told reporters at the end of a visit. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

Editorial: Cyril must embrace his AU role

There are several African conflicts that require urgent attention

The European companies that armed the Ivorian civil war

AN OCCRP investigation reveals that Gunvor and Semlex brokered weapons-for-oil deals in early 2011 when Côte d’Ivoire was in crisis, despite a UN arms embargo

The October election season: Guinea, Tanzania and Cote D’Ivoire head to the polls

October is election month as three presidents seek another term in office. For two, it will be their third

We should not ignore Guinea’s constitutional coup

Citizens have for a year protested against the president seeking a third term in office despite a two-term limit. Many have been killed — and 90 more people died in this week’s crackdown

Manifesto against the presidency for life in Africa

If we do not take care, presidents will make lawlessness the standard of our civic life. Let’s make sure it does not come to that!

Yes, Cote D’Ivoire’s president is running for a third term. But this time it’s different

COMMENT: A senior Ivorian government official argues that President Alassane Ouattara is within his rights to run again
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Exclusive: Top-secret testimonies implicate Rwanda’s president in war crimes

Explosive witness testimony from the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda implicates Paul Kagame and the RPF in mass killings before, during and after the 1994 genocide.

Shadow of eviction looms over farm dwellers

In part two of a series on the lives of farm dwellers, Tshepiso Mabula ka Ndongeni finds a community haunted by the scourge of eviction

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…