Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

North Korea and US seek to reboot nuclear dialogue

North Korea and the United States will hold a second round of talks in Geneva next week to discuss ways to restart regional talks on disabling North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme, South Korean media reported on Monday.

Yonhap news agency quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying that the two sides would meet in Geneva, possibly on October 26, amid recent diplomatic activity which has seen the secretive state brought in from the cold.

North Korea conducted its first nuclear test in 2006 and tested a second device in 2009.

Tension has eased on the peninsula this year, and a series of bilateral meetings between the Koreas and the US and North Korea has raised hopes that nuclear talks could be reconvened after a nearly three-year hiatus.

“I have learned that a high-level dialogue between North Korea and the US will be held in Geneva,” Yonhap quoted the diplomatic source as saying.

Seoul’s Unification Ministry, which deals with inter-Korean affairs, said it did not know anything about the report.

North Korea keen to meet
North Korea said last month it was eager for a second meeting with the United States.

In July, US envoy Stephen Bosworth held two days of talks with veteran North Korean nuclear negotiator Vice Foreign Minister Kim Kye-gwan in New York, their first such interaction since 2009.

Last month in Beijing, the two Koreas’ nuclear envoys met for a second time in two months to discuss restarting the six-party talks, which also involve the United States, China, Russia and Japan.

In further signs of engagement, North Korean and US military officials are due to meet in Bangkok this week to discuss resuming the search for the remains of Americans killed during the 1950-53 Korean War.

Delegates from North Korea will also travel to the United States this month for two separate unofficial conferences designed to breathe life into the six-party talks.

Nuclear test worry
While the two Koreas and the United States say their talks have been constructive, they have failed to agree on a starting point for a new round of the six-party talks.

Seoul and Washington insist that Pyongyang must first halt its nuclear activities, including its uranium enrichment programme, and allow the return of international nuclear inspectors before talks can restart.

The North, with Beijing and Moscow’s support, says that six-party talks should be held without preconditions.

Most experts say the mercurial North is unlikely to ever give up its pursuit of nuclear weapons, but the six-party process is useful as it serves to contain the North’s nuclear programme and hinders proliferation.

A South Korean government official has also expressed concerns that if no there is progress in restarting six-party talks, Pyongyang could carry out another “provocation” such as a nuclear test.

Sanctions taking their toll
Analysts say the destitute North is feeling the strain of sanctions, imposed for conducting the nuclear and missile tests, and wants to restart the talks to get economic aid.

Ties between the two Koreas have been frosty since 2008 when South Korea linked aid to progress on North Korean nuclear disarmament. Relations deteriorated further after the North’s attacks on the South last year — the sinking of a South Korean warship and the shelling of an island that killed 50 people. — Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Canna-business deal for Ingonyama Trust land

Foreign investment has been lined up for a joint venture with the Ingonyama Trust Board, which administers tribal land for the Zulu monarch

NPA ‘refuses’ to prosecute Oscar Mabuyane

The Hawks have accused the NPA of ‘dragging its feet’ despite voluminous evidence against the Eastern Cape premier

More top stories

ANC Durban election candidate shot dead while on door-to-door campaign

One other man was shot dead and two others were rushed to hospital with gunshot wounds

Rule of law drops globally, including in South Africa

Security and corruption prevents the country from ranking higher on the World Justice Project Rule of Law Index for 2021

Slice of life: ‘I can read nine or 10 books...

David van der Westhuizen, a street bookseller based at the KwaZulu-Natal Society of the Arts Gallery in Durban, tells Paddy Harper how he survives unemployment

South Africa opens up vaccinations for 12 to 17 year-olds

Vaccinology researcher Professor Shabir Madhi said young people were being vaccinated to reduce the number of people who could transmit the virus and the focus should instead be on people over the age of 50
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×