Iran links dissident group to Saudi assassination plot

Suspect is reported to be a member of a dissident group in an apparent attempt by Tehran to distance itself from allegations

Tehran has pointed the finger at a dissident group it considers a “sworn enemy” in an attempt to distance itself from United States accusations that the Islamic regime in Iran conspired to kill the Saudi ambassador to Washington.

Iran’s semi-official Mehr news agency reported that one of the two suspects the US said were involved in a plot to hire a Mexican drug cartel to assassinate Adel al-Jubeir is a “key member” of an Iranian dissident group, the People’s Mujahideen of Iran (MEK).

“The person in question has been travelling to different countries under the names of Ali Shakuri/Gholam Shakuri/Gholam-Hossein Shakuri by using fake passports, including forged Iranian passports,” according to Mehr.


Last week, the US brought charges against an American-Iranian, Mansour Arabsiar (56) who was arrested at New York’s JFK airport on September 29, and Gholam Shakuri, an Iranian who remains at large in Iran, according to US officials.

The pair, who the US says were the main culprits behind the alleged Iranian murder-for-hire plot, were identified in a sting operation involving the FBI and the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Shakuri was described by the US as a member of Iran’s Quds Force, a special unit of the country’s elite Revolutionary Guards, tasked with overseas operations. But Mehr said Interpol “has found new evidence” that suggests Shakuri is associated with the MEK and “was last seen in Washington and Camp Ashraf in Iraq where [MEK] members are based”.

The MEK, which is based in Paris, remains unpopular inside Iran because of its support for the former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein during the Iran-Iraq war but is also designated as terrorist organisation by the US and Canada, though not by the European Union.

In recent years, Iran has been quick to blame the MEK for many of its internal problems, including the protests that followed its disputed presidential elections in 2009. Many political and human rights activists imprisoned in Iran have been falsely accused of having links to the organisation. The MEK has denied the Iranian claims and neither Interpol nor the US have so far reacted to Mehr’s report.

If the MEK alleged link turns out to be true, it would be a big embarrassment for Washington, which has already met widespread scepticism over its version of events of Iran’s involvement in the assassination plot.

Both Tehran’s sympathisers and its critics have questioned the US claims that Iran was directly linked to the alleged plot to kill Jubeir, a close confidant of the Saudi king.

Little evidence has been provided by the US in support of its claim and the amateurish and sloppy nature of it have led to many analysts speculating that the alleged plot might have been the work of rogue elements, with the aim of pleasing the authorities in Tehran or, in contrast, smearing a regime which is already isolated by the international community.

Since last week, Iran has mounted a firm rebuttal of US accusations, with many of its senior officials claiming Washington is struggling to divert attention from its economic and social problems, especially the Occupy Wall Street protests in recent weeks.

Despite the unity in rejecting the claims, Iranian officials have made contradictory remarks over the handling of the events, which has highlighted the extent of the chaos in Iranian politics at a time when a power struggle is developing between the president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, and the country’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

Iran’s foreign minister, Ali Akbar Salehi, said on Monday that Tehran was ready to investigate assassination charges, but within hours, Ahmadinejad contradicted his own minister by telling al-Jazeera television that the country would not investigate the US claims.

In his interview with al-Jazeera on Monday, Ahmadinejad likened the plot accusations to the weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, saying the US “fabricated a bunch of papers” for its claims at the time. “Is that a difficult thing to do?” asked the president. —

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Where do Africans study abroad?

China is becoming the preferred destination for countries such as Ghana and Nigeria

Iraqi rivers under threat from dams in Iran and Turkey

This year, an unprecedented fiscal crunch caused by low oil prices forced the government to suspend infrastructure investments. But new dams alone won’t save Iraq’s waterways, experts warn.

The orchestrators of the world’s worst humanitarian crisis in Yemen

As the crisis continues to unfold, the biggest threat may be the vested interest in maintaining the civil war Therefore, with no end in sight to the conflict plaguing the nation, the question worth asking is: who benefits from a Yemen at war?

Surviving Covid-19 — and Modi

A religious and nationalist agenda has replaced the promise of development and left India ill-equipped to manage the pandemic

Far right uses coronavirus to scapegoat refugees

Europe’s far-right nationalists are closing their borders and using Covid-19 as a guise to deport and deny entry to refugees and asylum seekers

South Africa’s travel ban commences

The travel restrictions will allow South Africa to turn back passengers arriving from areas affected by Covid-19 that are deemed high risk
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

Limpopo big-game farmer accused of constant harassment

A family’s struggle against alleged intimidation and failure to act by the authorities mirrors the daily challenges farm dwellers face

Did Botswana execute ‘poachers’ ?

The Botswana Defence Force’s anti-poaching unit has long been accused of a ‘shoot to kill’ policy. Over 20 years the unit has killed 30 Namibians and 22 Zimbabweans

Zondo tightens his grip with criminal complaint against Zuma

The state capture commission’s star witness now faces a criminal complaint and another summons

Sharp sting of the Green Scorpions

Crime busters secure a 97% conviction rate and register more criminal dockets for range of crimes
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…