Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Abbas: Palestine, Arab world erred on 1947 partition

Palestine’s President Mahmoud Abbas says the Arab world made a mistake in rejecting the UN’ 1947 plan to partition Palestine into a Palestinian and a Jewish state.

The Palestinian president, in a remarkable assessment delivered on Israeli TV, has said the Arab world erred in rejecting the United Nations’ 1947 plan to partition Palestine into a Palestinian and a Jewish state.

The Palestinian and Arab refusal to accept a UN plan to partition the then-British-controlled mandate of Palestine sparked widespread fighting, then Arab military intervention after Israel declared independence the following year. The Arabs lost the war.

“It was our mistake. It was an Arab mistake as a whole,” Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas told Channel 2 TV in a rare interview to the Israeli media on Friday. “But do they [the Israelis] punish us for this mistake 64 years?

Abbas also addressed his negotiations with former Israeli leader Ehud Olmert, now in the spotlight because of the publication of the memoirs of former US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice.

Rice backs Israel’s account that Olmert made a peace offer that was rejected, while Palestinians say that talks never actually reached a point where a firm offer was on the table.

Abbas claimed that he and Olmert were “very close” to reaching a peace agreement in 2008, before the Israeli leader left office under the cloud of corruption allegations.

“It was a very good opportunity,” he said. “If he stayed two, three months, I believe in that time we could have concluded an agreement.”

He confirmed Olmert’s account that the Israeli leader was prepared to withdraw from 93.5% of the West Bank. The Palestinians, Abbas added, responded by offering to let Israel retain 1.9% of the West Bank.

In her forthcoming book, No Higher Honor, excerpted in Newsweek this week, Rice claims that the Palestinians rejected Olmert’s proposal.

Rice said Olmert proposed in a May 2008 conversation with her to cede about 94% of the West Bank, and to share sovereignty over the disputed holy city of Jerusalem and put an international body in charge of its religious shrines.

In its waning days, Rice wrote, the administration of president George W Bush tried one last time to wrest a peace deal: “To have an Israeli prime minister on record offering those remarkable elements and a Palestinian president accepting them would have pushed the peace process to a new level. Abbas refused.”

In their last meeting before Bush left office in December 2008, “The president took Abbas into the Oval Office alone and appealed to him to reconsider. The Palestinians stood firm, and the idea died,” Rice wrote.

On Friday, the chief Palestinian negotiator said that the Palestinians had never rejected the Israeli offer.

With Abbas offering in his counter-proposal to let Israel annex 1.9% of the West Bank, Bush set a meeting for January 3, 2009, to lock in the positions, which had been delivered verbally, “so the next administration could begin where we left off,” he said.

That meeting was scuttled because of Israel’s December 2008 invasion of Gaza, Erekat said, and Olmert was soon out of office. Since that time, talks revived for only a brief three weeks last year.

Last month, Abbas bypassed the troubled negotiations route to ask the UN to recognise an independent state of Palestine.

In his interview with Channel 2, Abbas acknowledged the Palestinians might not be able to muster the necessary nine votes in the 15-member Security Council to approve the statehood bid.

But majority support would be a moot point, anyway, because the United States has threatened to veto the statehood petition. Israel also opposes the UN bid, arguing, like the US, that only negotiations can yield a Palestinian state.

Abbas said “it is difficult … to launch any kind of negotiations” with the current Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, who takes a hawkish stand on territorial concessions.

He said Netanyahu wants to retain an Israeli military presence along the West Bank’s eastern border with Jordan for 40 years, even after the establishment of a Palestinian state.

“I told him, I prefer occupation,” Abbas said.

Netanyahu has never publicly specified how long he wants to hold on to that territory, known as the Jordan Valley, and his office had no reaction to Abbas’ comment. — Sapa-AP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft

The ANC, DA and EFF ‘oblivious’ to climate crisis —...

The Climate Justice Charter Movement has critiqued the manifestos of the main parties contesting the local government elections and found them ‘shallow’

More top stories

Countries bear cross-border responsibility for harmful effects of climate change,...

The UN committee has been accused of ‘turning its back’ on the children who filed a groundbreaking legal complaint with it against five countries

Magashule files notice to have corruption charges dropped

Counsel for the suspended ANC secretary general tells court the former Free State premier falls outside category of who can be charged for corrupt activities

R1.5-billion in funding approved for riot-hit businesses

Agencies emphasise that speed is crucial to rescuing firms affected by July’s unrest

DA’s egregious sexual harassment case finally begins

The party is accused of protecting a councillor, who’s also implicated in R1.2m graft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×