Iran missile blast blamed on Mossad

The blast at the al-Ghadir missile base at Bid Ganeh was so powerful it rattled windows 50 kilometres away in Tehran. Witnesses said it sounded like a huge bomb had been dropped. Seventeen of Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards were killed, among them a man described by his peers as the “architect” of the country’s missile programme, Major General Hassan Moghaddam.

The dead were buried with full state honours and, in a reflection of the extent of Iran’s loss the funeral was attended by the supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei. The official account insisted that the blast was an accident, but a source with close links to Iran’s clerical regime blamed it on Mossad, bolstering other reports of involvement by Israel’s intelligence and special operations, attributed to Western intelligence.

If the reports are true, the blast would mark a dramatic escalation in a shadow war over the Iranian nuclear programme.

Moghaddam, an engineer by profession, was reported to have been trained in ballistic science by China and North Korea. Mostafa Izadi, an Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) commander and a close friend, said in his obituary: “Since 1984 he pioneered the IRGC’s ground-to-ground missile system … the work which has so frightened the world’s imperialist powers and the Zionist regime today.”

Moghaddam’s violent death, coming in the wake of a series of assassinations of Iranian nuclear scientists on the streets of Tehran and rising tensions over Iran’s nuclear and missile programmes, raised questions about whether the explosion was the latest, bloodiest blow in a covert war.


Iran had blamed the killings of three scientists in the past two years on Israel, but on this occasion the corps’s public relations department was quick to rule out sabotage, while saying that the investigation into the incident had not been completed.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, however, a former director of an Iranian state-run organisation with close links to the regime, said: “I believe that Saturday’s explosion was part of the covert war against Iran led by Israel.” The former official compared Saturday’s incident to a similar blast in October 2010 at an IRGC missile base near the city of Khorramabad. “I have information that both these incidents were the work of sabotage by agents of Israel, aimed at halting Iran’s missile programme,” he said.

The bases in both cases housed Iran’s Shahab-3 missiles, based on a North Korean design. An upgraded variant was said to have a range of 2 000 kilometres, which would allow it to reach Israel.

A report last week by the International Atomic Energy Agency said its inspectors had found evidence that Iran had carried out research and tests on making a nuclear warhead small enough to put on top of a Shahab-3. The report found there was more solid evidence for such research up to 2003 than in later years, but said there were signs that research, including computer modelling, was continuing.

The official account of last Saturday’s blast said it had taken place in an arms depot when munitions were being moved. Reports said a Shahab-3 detonated while Moghaddam was overseeing its redeployment. Witnesses spoke of one giant blast rather than a series of detonations, which might be expected from a blaze in a munitions store.

Time magazine also cited a “Western intelligence source” as saying that Mossad was behind the blast and that many more would follow.

If it was an act of sabotage, blowing up one of Iran’s most prized weapons when the godfather of the missile programme was within range was a remarkable coup. It would also mark a serious escalation in a covert war being fought by both sides.

United States officials believe a plot uncovered in October to kill the Saudi ambassador to Washington by blowing up a popular restaurant in the city was the work of the corps, possibly in retaliation for the assassinations of the Iranian scientists. If so, more reprisals could be in the pipeline. —

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Julian Borger
Julian Borger
Julian Borger is a British journalist and non-fiction writer. He is the world affairs editor at The Guardian. He was a correspondent in the US, eastern Europe, the Middle East and the Balkans and covered the Bosnian War for the BBC. Borger is a contributor to Center of International Cooperation.

Related stories

Iran’s president takes steps to boost tourism

With its glittering mosques and spectacular landscapes, Iran's new leaders are 
overhauling visa 
requirements to boost its tourism industry.

Iran’s economy takes a battering

Iran's president Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is shouldering the blame for the financial woes hitting the republic, writes Saeed Kamali Dehghan.

Iran rattles its sabres, US sticks to its guns

Iran has announced that it's prepared to launch missiles at US bases throughout the Gulf within minutes of any attack on the Islamic Republic.

Iranian gamers create chance to ‘kill’ Rushdie

Salman Rushdie is the subject of an Iranian computer game aimed at spreading the message about his "sin" against Islam to new generations.

Salman Rushdie targeted in Iranian video game

Salman Rushdie, author of 'The Satanic Verses', is the subject of an Iranian computer game aimed at spreading the message about his "sin".

Iran links dissident group to Saudi assassination plot

Tehran says the suspect in a plot to assassinate a Saudi envoy in the US belongs to an Iranian dissident group the state regards as its "sworn enemy".
Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-19 surges in the Eastern Cape

With people queuing for services, no water, lax enforcement of mask rules and plenty of partying, the virus is flourishing once again, and a quarter of the growth is in the Eastern Cape

Ace prepares ANC branches for battle

ANC secretary general Ace Magashule is ignoring party policy on corruption-charged officials and taking his battle to branch level, where his ‘slate capture’ strategy is expected to leave Ramaphosa on the ropes

More top stories

Limpopo big-game farmer accused of constant harassment

A family’s struggle against alleged intimidation and failure to act by the authorities mirrors the daily challenges farm dwellers face

Did Botswana execute ‘poachers’ ?

The Botswana Defence Force’s anti-poaching unit has long been accused of a ‘shoot to kill’ policy. Over 20 years the unit has killed 30 Namibians and 22 Zimbabweans

Zondo tightens his grip with criminal complaint against Zuma

The state capture commission’s star witness now faces a criminal complaint and another summons

Sharp sting of the Green Scorpions

Crime busters secure a 97% conviction rate and register more criminal dockets for range of crimes
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…