Zim could be months away from a food shortage

More than one million Zimbabweans may struggle to feed themselves in the coming months, the United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) warned on Monday, noting a poor harvest in several areas of the country.

Zimbabwe has just entered its rainy season which will last until March. The local economy is still suffering from years of mismanagement and the global downturn is also hindering growth.

“Most at risk are low-income families hit by failed harvests, and households with orphans and vulnerable children,” said the UN’s WFP.

“Although food is generally available in many rural areas, it is too expensive for those with limited resources,” the agency said in a statement, which called for foreign donors to give $42-million for food aid to Zimbabwe.

The Southern African country, once renowned as a regional breadbasket, started receiving food aid in 2001, a year after the government launched a takeover of white-owned farms that was widely condemned abroad.

The coming months are also expected to see some political turmoil, as the coalition between President Robert Mugabe and former opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai shows signs of wear. — Sapa-dpa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ayo report: CFO acted in the PIC’s interests

A disciplinary inquiry has cleared Matshepo More of all charges, but she remains suspended

A lifeline for the homeless people in eThekwini

eThekwini plans to retain permanent and safe open spaces for people with nowhere to sleep

Judge trashes entire lockdown regime as constitutionally flawed

The high court ruling will delight gatvol South Africans but is unlikely to stand the test of time

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday