N Korea warns South of ‘catastrophic’ consequences

North Korea has warned of “unpredictable catastrophic consequences” for cross-border relations unless Seoul eases restrictions on visits by South Koreans to mourn late leader Kim Jong-Il.

Saying the world is in mourning for “a peerlessly great man”, the North on Saturday again blasted the South for its response to Kim’s death on December 17.

On Thursday Pyongyang announced it would open its borders to all South Koreans who wish to travel to Pyongyang to express condolences.

The Seoul government, which by law must authorise all contacts with Pyongyang, is allowing only two private delegations and is not sending an official team.

The South blames its neighbour for two deadly border incidents last year but has taken a generally conciliatory stance since Monday’s announcement of Kim’s death.

The government sent its sympathies to the North’s people, scrapped a controversial plan to display Christmas lights near the border and announced that South Koreans could send pre-approved condolence messages northwards.

‘Puppet authorities’
The North’s state media has expressed anger.

“The South Korean puppet authorities’ unethical acts bereft of elementary etiquette and compatriotism have touched off unanimous outrage and wrath among Koreans and all other people of the world,” a spokesperson for the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea told the official news agency.

The committee is a state body overseeing cross-border relations.

“The South Korean authorities should bear in mind that their obstructions will entail unpredictable catastrophic consequences to the north-south relations,” the spokesperson said.

Seoul’s response to the death has been more conciliatory than when the late Kim’s father Kim Il-Sung died in 1994 but Pyongyang still bristles at it.

Despite the tough rhetoric, analysts generally do not expect shows of military force as the new regime headed by Kim’s son Jong-Un settles in. — AFP

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Stalin’s reign of terror foreshadows Putin’s hold on Russia

Vladimir Putin’s assault on Ukraine has accelerated Russia’s slide towards totalitarian rule.

Lesufi comforts schools where three brothers died after drinking an...

Gauteng MEC of education Panyaza Lesufi assured those affected by the deaths that they are not alone

Former Transnet chief executive Siyabonga Gama and others granted bail

Gama, Eric Wood, Garry Pita, Phetolo Ramosebudi and Daniel Roy appeared before the Palm Ridge magistrate’s court on charges of fraud, money laundering and contravention of Public Finance Management Act

OPINION | Thabo Mbkei reflects on the African Union, Africa...

Thabo Mbkei reflects on the African Union, Africa Day and his foundation
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×