Google Kenya head fired after Mocality disaster

Google has fired the head of its Kenyan operations following the discovery that people working for it had been pulling data without permission from the Mocality database and misrepresenting themselves to local clients.

The company is also understood to be tightening internal procedures about the use of contractors for projects involving contacts with outside businesses.

While the search giant has posted no more than a bare-bones response after an internal investigation, Nairobitech reported that the Kenya country lead for Google, Olga Arara-Kimani, formerly of the telecoms company Safaricomm, had left the company.

The site reported that a member of Google’s technical team in Zurich has also left the company following the investigation, which was triggered when an elaborate sting operation by Mocality demonstrated that staff working for Google were accessing its database without permission.

Nelson Mattos, vice-president for product and engineering in Europe and emerging markets, said in a brief statement that “We’ve concluded our investigation into the serious allegations about our use of data from Mocality’s website in Kenya. We’re very sorry this happened. We’ve taken appropriate action with the people involved and made changes in our operations to ensure this doesn’t occur again.”

However he did not elucidate on what action had been taken. Google declined to comment further on the matter. It apologised to Mocality after its initial investigation discovered that allegations by Stefan Magdalinski, first aired on the Mocality blog on January 13, were correct.

Asked by the Guardian whether he was satisfied with Google’s actions, and whether Google had made any reparations, Magdalinski responded, “We’re still talking”.

Google declined to respond to the Guardian‘s request for more information beyond its statement.

The Nairobitech blog has suggested that by failing to explain what went wrong, Google’s Kenya operation is failing both its clients and potential customers. — guardian.co.uk Guardian News and Media 2012

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Charles Arthur
Charles Arthur works from Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino. Journalist, speaker, moderator. The Guardian’s Technology editor 2009-14. Coming May ‘18: Cyber Wars, on hacking. Prev: Digital Wars: Apple v Google v Microsoft Charles Arthur has over 74656 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Sisulu rejects Ramaphosa’s ‘apology in her name’

In a public showdown with the president, the minister promptly distanced herself from his statement that said she apologised for her attacks on the judiciary

SANDF’s condemned-building mess

A 40-year-old army accommodation block housing 500 soldiers was ‘upgraded’ using residents’ recreational fund contributions. But it is dangerous: other high-risk residential flats in the area have been evacuated because of dolomite corrosion.

2021 matrics set new record with a pass rate of...

Most bachelor passes and distinctions in the class of came from female learners

Basic education minister celebrates the top achievers in the class...

Angie Motshekga says 2021’s matrics are in ‘a class of their own’ for having persevered through Covid-19 pandemic for two years
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×