ANC expels Julius Malema

ANC Youth League president Julius Malema has been expelled from the ANC but may appeal his sentence within 14 days.

The announcement was made on Wednesday night by the ruling party’s national disciplinary committee (NDC) after deliberating over arguments offered in mitigation of sentence.

NDC chairperson Derek Hanekom said in a statement that it was unlikely that Malema could be rehabilitated.

Hanekom said Malema was found guilty of two serious offences and had shown no remorse.

Malema’s expulsion is the latest stage in the disciplinary process which began in August last year.


Malema along with league spokesperson Floyd Shivambu and secretary general Sindiso Magaqa argued in mitigation of their suspensions, which were handed down to them by the NDC in November last year.

After appealing the judgment, the ruling party’s national disciplinary committee of appeals upheld the suspensions, but ordered the NDC to hear mitigating arguments from the trio.

Shivambu and Magaqa received a lighter punishment, with the pair being slapped with a three-year suspensions. Magaqa’s sanction was suspended for three years, provided he doesn’t violate ANC disciplinary protocol again, while Shivambu’s suspension was upheld.

The NDC’s statement said their final decision was largely based on the fact that Malema did not show any remorse during the proceedings even after being found guilty.

‘Respect the decision’
The ANC released a statement supporting the announcement, shortly after it was made public.

“The ANC welcome and respect the findings as pronounced and made public tonight by the national disciplinary committee of the ANC. We call on our members and those of our leagues to respect this decision,” the statement read.

Malema and his colleagues are not immediately out in the cold as they are entitled to appeal their sentences with the national disciplinary committee of appeals within 14 days again.

Earlier in the day, the trio’s legal representative Dali Mpofu told the Mail & Guardian a formal complaint had been lodged with the NDC based on the lack of notice given to when the decision would be made public.

“If they decide to violate that process then so be it. It is something we would certainly raise in an appeal if we decide to go that route,” Mpofu told the M&G.

Malema’s options
Apart from the formal appeals process, Malema can also employ delay tactics, in order to drag the matter out until the ruling party’s next elective conference in Mangaung this December.

Malema could then try and have a formal motion tabled to ANC delegates with voting powers at the conference to have his sanction nullified.

The controversial youth leader can also take the matter to the ANC’s powerful national executive committee (NEC), who will have the power to overrule the NDC’s decision.

Initial indications are that while support is evident for Malema among some of the ANC’s top brass, the league would struggle to put together sufficient numbers to have the decision overturned.

The league has stated on several occasions that it will defy the ruling.

The young lions said the ANC should “inform and convince” the league and its members that the suspensions were the right decision and explain their reasoning in doing so.

The suspensions relate to comments made by Shivambu about regime change in Botswana as well as insulting a journalist; Magaqa’s suspension is for undermining the authority of Public Enterprises Minister Malusi Gigaba and Malema was sentenced for comparing President Jacob Zuma unfavourably to his predecessor, Thabo Mbeki.

For more news and multimedia on ANC Youth League president Julius Malema click here.

A previous version of this story incorrectly stated that Malema’s expulsion was immediate. This was corrected on February 29 2012 at 11.33pm. We regret the error.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

Public protector’s ‘mistakes’ were made to nail the president, court hears

Busisiwe Mkhwebane discarded facts that were inconvenient to her when she investigated the CR17 campaign, Cyril Ramaphosa’s lawyers argued

CR17 report is not perfect, but the investigation was rational, court hears

So says public protector Busisiwe Mkwhebane’s lawyer, who said she had reason to suspect the money was being laundered through the campaign

#CR17 fight heads to the Constitutional Court

amaBhungane’s arguments about the disclosure of campaign funding are also expected to be heard

‘Stand aside’ rule fails the Ace test

The ANC has stalled on setting ground rules for cleanout of comrades accused of corruption

‘Probe Free State tenders under Magashule’

A centralised procurement programme in the province allegedly operated under the former premier

Editorial: Desperately seeking an opposition

All the contenders are deeply flawed, losing support, or both
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DA leader bought wife a car with ‘corruption’ earnings

Senior Ekurhuleni councillor Shabangu purchased a Ford SUV from an alleged R1.2-million kickback

SAA funds may need a top-up

Industry experts predict the R10.5-billion from the treasury to rescue the airline may not be enough, but the rescue practitioners say the money is enough to ‘settle the sins of the past’

Trump’s mantra of ‘fake news’ harmed media

Viewers and readers need to trust that news outlets are accurate, balanced, fair and impartial

Covid-19 info lags as cases shoot up

Vital information apps and websites are outdated as cases begin to mushroom, especially near the coast, just in time for the December holidays
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…