The Mail & Guardian is looking to hire a deputy chief sub-editor for the print edition.
Role: To assist the chief sub-editor to supervise the day-to-day work of the sub-editing team for the print edition of the M&G.
- Control quality to ensure that copy-editing and layout/design are of a high standard
- Edit copy and lay out/design pages according to M&G style
- Proofread and pass pages
- Use a workflow system to control page production and copy-editing
- Ensure that deadlines of all in-house M&G products are met
- Liaise with advertising about pagination
- Deal with the administrative duties of the subs’ desk, including managing freelance sub-editors and proofreaders
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum of six years’ experience on a news or subs’ desk
- Experience using a workflow system
- Up-to-date knowledge of media law
- Interest in and understanding of the role of design in media
- Excellent subbing skills for copy, headline writing, standfirsts and captions
- Excellent knowledge of InDesign or similar layout software
- People management experience is essential
- Excellent time-management skills
- Highly organised
- Innovative and creative
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under pressure
- Ability to work with a highly skilled team
- Interested in the future of media
The appointment will be done in line with the M&G Media Ltd Employment Equity Policy and remuneration will be commensurate with the position.
The closing date for applications is April 5 2012, and can be sent here.