Durant Sihlali’s widow lays theft charge

Last week the Mail & Guardian reported on events that resulted in a large number of Sihlali's art works, potentially worth tens of millions of rands, ending up in the possession of lawyer Mafika Sihlali. The where-abouts of the works is not known.

Hawks spokesperson McIntosh Polela said the theft case, laid on behalf of Sihlali's widow, Anna, was referred to the unit because it was already investigating another matter involving Mafika Sihlali. But the charge would probably have landed on the unit's desk  anyway.

"Because of the amount of money it is alleged these paintings are worth, it falls within our mandate," Polela said.

Valuing the work is difficult, but experts familiar with the artist's work and previous sales of it estimate that the paintings, sculptures and drawings thought to be in Mafika Sihlali's possession could fetch up to R45-million on auction.

Defrauding the SABC
Mafika Sihlali is out on bail and is due to appear in the Commercial Crimes Court in Johannesburg in early August. He is accused of defrauding the SABC while he was the corporation's head of legal services by outsourcing legal work to a friend and receiving kickbacks worth R2.5-million through a football club he owned.


An internal SABC investigation into the allegations led to threats, physical intimidation and a suspicious fire.

People familiar  with this investigation and those familiar with the art works saga have refused to speak on the record, claiming that Mafika Sihlali is dangerous.

Polela said if Sihlali was arrested in connection with the theft charge, the Hawks would oppose bail because of the other pending matter. That could see the once high-flying lawyer in jail for the duration of a trial. But, Polela said, investigations were at an early stage and he would not comment on the details of the case or say whether an arrest was likely.

"The investigating officer ­handling the new case has met with the ­investigating officer on the other case and they have met with and ­spoken to Sihlali," he said.

The Twitter account @Mafika­Sihlali, which had been dormant for 139 days, was reactivated last Friday and claimed that the M&G had resorted to "despicable journalism" and had avoided contacting Mafika Sihlali for fear that "lies would be spoiled by my response".

Defamatory publications
Although its ownership cannot be verified, the account appears to be under Sihlali's control. On Monday the account was set to private so that tweets by @MafikaSihlali can be seen only by approved users.

In a lengthy email exchange this week, Sihlali said he reserved his right to sue for damages as a result of "wrongful and defamatory publications". He would not answer specific questions or provide a 1500-word written reply, which he said he had prepared, unless the M&G guaranteed that it would be carried in full and unedited.

Durant Sihlali's family has prepared – but not yet filed – documents to seek an interdict restraining Mafika Sihlali from selling the work he is presumed to be holding, which they fear he might do, while they seek the return of the pieces.

"We haven't heard anything yet," Anna Sihlali said this week.

She said she had been trying to secure the return of her husband's collection – a significant body of work, which art experts believe could play a role in understanding the impact that apartheid had – for ­several years, but could not trace Mafika Sihlali.

Fall-out
Initially, the lawyer was the executor of the estate of the artist who  died of a heart attack in 2004, but he dropped out of sight as his troubles at the SABC deepened.

He was eventually arrested in February this year.

Although he shares a surname with the family, it is not clear whether they are related.

Sources familiar with the saga claim that Mafika Sihlali initially seemed keen to help to establish a museum of Durant Sihlali's work, but there was a fall-out between the lawyer and Durant's widow, which led to him being removed as the executor.

They claim there were early indications that the lawyer did not particularly care about the legacy or wishes of the artist.

Mafika Sihlali allegedly cut through the locks to gain access to Durant's work stored in a Braam­fontein studio where he had worked.

"It was a shambles," said a person who saw the studio shortly afterwards. "There were letters and files all over the floor – everything had been discarded but the art.

"He [Durant] was always so careful. It would have broken his heart to see it like that."

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Phillip De Wet
Guest Author

Related stories

SABC staff ready to join picket line

The national broadcaster has rejected claims that it did not follow correct retrenchment and audit processes

SABC plans to retrench 600 employees

Broadcaster cites “poor sales effectiveness, ineffective commercial product, old pricing models and inadequate technology infrastructure” as driving cuts

Ex-manager says Maroleng was on SABC dismissal ‘hit list’

Allegations have surfaced in court papers that the state broadcaster’s former head was purposefully pushed out by chief executive Madoda Mxakwe and board chairperson Bongumusa Makhathini

SABC sued over ‘bad’ clip of Ramaphosa

A senior employee at the public broadcaster wants compensation for claims of ‘sabotage’

The sabotage that wasn’t at the SABC

There is no evidence to support the broadcaster’s claim that its employees had co-ordinated a plan to botch the president’s speech

Editorial: Capture virus hits again

State Security Agency still cannot produce the security clearance certificate required for the incumbent, Baptiste Dungu, to occupy the top post at the Onderstepoort Biological Products
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…