Somalia’s al-Shebab execute CIA, MI6 ‘spies’

Two of the men were accused of having attached a satellite tracker device to a car used by al-Qaeda operatives in January, which was later struck by a missile, killing two.

"The three defendants were found guilty of spying … one of them worked for the British intelligence agency MI6 and the two others were spying for the CIA," said Sheikh Abdalla Al-Haq, the Shebab's chief judge.

The three men, aged between 25 and 30 according to witnesses, were shot by firing squad in a public execution in the port town of Merka late on Sunday.

"All of them confessed to the charges against them, and the punishment is death," Al-Haq said.

"One of them was shouting when they dropped him off and after the judge read the verdict, they were blindfolded and shot," said Abidaziz Moalim, a witness.

"Al-Shebab officials used loud speakers on pickup trucks to call people to gather for the execution, hundreds of people came to watch," said Idris Nure, another witness. – Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa Afp
Guest Author
Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday