Pietersen’s international future ‘still being determined’

Last week, the 32-year-old Pietersen was dropped for the third and final Test against South Africa at Lord's after admitting to sending "provocative" text messages to opposing players.

England slipped to a 51-run defeat in the match to lose the series 2-0 and concede the number one Test ranking to their opponents in the process.

National selector Geoff Miller explained Pietersen's international future "was still being determined" so it was always unlikely the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) were going to select him for the upcoming limited overs events.

"Kevin Pietersen's future involvement is still being determined and he was therefore not considered for selection in either squad," Miller said as the squads were announced.

The squad to face SA for the five one-day internationals also sees Twenty20 captain Stuart Broad rested ahead the Twenty20 World Cup in Sri Lanka in September and October.

Pietersen could have been selected for both squads, having reversed a decision to retire from all forms of international limited-overs cricket, at which he was one of the key players when England won the last global 20-over event two years ago.

Recent success
The ODI series starts in Cardiff on Friday and continues with matches at Southampton, the Oval, Lord's and Trent Bridge.

Miller continued: "All players in the 14-man ODI series squad were involved in the recent series victory against Australia.

"We will be looking for this side to build on the recent success we have had and to show further signs of improvement against a strong SA side.

"Stuart Broad has an important period coming up leading our T20 side and with a three-match series followed closely by the (World Cup), we feel a two-week break from cricket is in the best interests of both Stuart and the team."

In Broad's absence Alastair Cook will captain the one-day side. – Reuters 

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Reuters
Guest Author
Advertisting

Soundtrack to a pandemic: Africa’s best coronavirus songs

Drawing on lessons from Ebola, African artists are using music to convey public health messaging. And they are doing it in style

In East Africa, the locusts are coming back for more

In February the devastating locust swarms were the biggest seen in East Africa for 70 years. Now they’re even bigger

Western Cape Judge Mushtak Parker faces second misconduct complaint

The Cape Bar Council says his conduct is ‘unbecoming the holding of judicial office’

‘My biggest fear was getting the virus and dying in...

South African Wuhan evacuee speaks about his nine-week ordeal

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories