Egypt TV head denies inciting Morsi’s murder

"I merely criticised President Morsi," Tawfiq Okasha told judges at the court appearance, an AFP journalist reported.

"This is a political trial. The Muslim Brotherhood wants to silence all dissent and reproduce the system from before the revolution," he said.

Okasha added that he was in the dock for "revealing the Brotherhood's involvement in attacks on police stations, courts and prisons during the revolution" in 2011.

Okasha's Al-Faraeen channel, suspended on August 16, aired a show that was stridently anti-Morsi and anti-Muslim Brotherhood, the party from which the leader emanates.

The charges against him came at the same time that Islam Afifi, the editor of small independent newspaper Al-Dustour, was accused of spreading false news and inciting disorder.


Okasha arrived at court surrounded by his supporters who chanted "The people want Al-Faraeen!" The court set the next session of the trial for October 3 after hearing the case for the defence, which argued that the complaints against Okasha were not filed by Morsi personally.

Both Okasha and Afifi were banned from leaving the country in August. Afifi was freed after spending several hours in custody on the day of his trial, after a decree signed by Morsi scrapped preventive detention for alleged publishing crimes.

Afifi was the first journalist to go on trial since the overthrow of veteran strongman Hosni Mubarak in February last year.

After his inauguration on June 30, Morsi moved to bolster his power over the influential military and a state media that had been hostile towards his once banned but powerful movement.

He got the Muslim Brotherhood-dominated upper house of parliament to name new editors-in-chief for state media that had been hostile to him and the Islamist group.

Morsi's opponents accuse him of seeking to muzzle the press, and there has also been international concern.

US State Department spokesperson Victoria Nuland said that the prosecutions of Okasha and Afifi ran counter to the spirit of last year's revolution. – Sapa-AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa Afp
Guest Author

Related stories

Jailed Al-Jazeera journalists freed pending retrial

Mohamed Fahmy and Baher Mohamed were freed after spending more than 400 days in an Egyptian prison, and must appear in court again on February 23.

Whitney Houston’s daughter found unresponsive in bathtub

The only child of Whitney Houston and R&B singer Bobby Brown is receiving care in hospital.

Niger: Anti-Charlie Hebdo protest claim more lives

Charlie Hebdo gunman Cherif Kouachi was buried meanwhile anti-Charlie Hebdo unrest in Niger leaves 10 people dead.

President Kenyatta signs controversial anti-terror bill amid criticism

a law that promotes censorship and allows authorities to crack down on suspected terrorists, impeding on human rights, set to be passed in Kenya.

South Africans killed in attack on Kabul compound

The South African head of an organisation, his son and daughter, and one Afghan were killed in a Taliban attack on a compound for foreigners in Kabul.

G20 agrees to boost economies

The world's 20 major economies have agreed to a plan aimed at pushing their combined growth beyond the 2% they were initially targeting.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

SAA in talks to recoup R350-million in blocked funds...

The cash-strapped national carrier is in the process of recouping its blocked funds from Zimbabwe, which could go towards financing the airline’s business rescue plan

NSFAS’s woes do not help its mandate

Nehawu wants the scheme’s administrator, Randall Carolissen, to be removed

Unions cry foul over SABC dismissal costs and retrenchments

Broadcaster bodies say claims that a recent skills audit is unrelated to retrenchments are ‘irrational’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday