Libya leader says attack unrelated to anti-Islam attack

In an interview with NBC News, Megaryef said the attackers fired rocket-propelled grenades and mortar rounds with such accuracy that the attack had to have been planned and carried out by experienced militants.

When asked if the offensive anti-Islam movie – which sparked violent protests across the Muslim world – had anything to do with the assault, Megaryef replied: "Not on this attack."

"Reaction should have been, if it was genuine, should have been six months earlier. So it was postponed until September 11," he said in an interview conducted in English.

"They chose this date, 11th of September, to carry a certain message."

The attack on the consulate, which killed US ambassador Chris Stevens and four other Americans, was initially said to have been part of a protest over the film, but the White House later called it a "terrorist attack".


Megaryef told NBC there were no protesters at the consulate before the attack, which he said came in two waves – with militants firing grenades at the consulate and then attacking an annex with mortar rounds.

"It's a pre-planned act of terrorism," he said, adding that the film had "nothing to do with this attack".

Libyan officials were quick to condemn the attack and have vowed to help the United States bring the perpetrators to justice.

Libya's newly elected government is struggling to rein in the patchwork of local militias – some led by hardline Islamists – that emerged during last year's uprising, which toppled longtime dictator Muammar Gaddafi.

US officials have said al-Qaeda may have been behind the consulate assault, which took place on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks. – Sapa-AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa Afp
Guest Author
Advertising

Sassa disses disability grant applicants

Towards the end of level four of the lockdown, Sassa offices reopened for applications for old age pensions and childcare and foster care grants, but not for disability grants

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday