Interdict halts closure of Western Cape schools

Grant was responding to a decision to rule in favour of 17 schools, their governing bodies and the SA Democratic Teachers' Union (Sadtu). The interdict is an interim one, meaning the schools will remain open pending the outcome of a final review application to be heard in the same court in the new year.

"I must stress that the interdict does not automatically imply that these schools will remain open indefinitely. "The interdict has the effect of delaying their closure," said Grant. The MEC stood by his decision, saying his reasons which included low enrolment numbers, multi-grade classes or a decline in pupil numbers, were sound.

"I note the court's decision with concern and great disappointment, particularly given that my decision to close these schools was taken after careful consideration of all representations made to me and with the best interests of the learners at heart." Grant pointed out that the court's decision was not unanimous. Judge Dennis Davis did not agree with colleagues Siraj Desai and Elizabeth Baartman.

"We are studying the court's decision carefully and will be consulting with our legal team so that we can give due consideration to all the legal options available to us." Grant denied accusations from the ANC, Sadtu and community organisations that his reasons for closing the schools were political decisions. Earlier in court, provincial ANC chairman Marius Fransman said the court victory was a landmark decision.

"This judgment has an effect here, it has an effect everywhere else in South Africa, where everyone will now consider deeply when they want to close any school," Fransman said. He praised Lavis Drive primary school principal Brenda Davids, who led the fight for the schools to remain open, despite "victimisation from the provincial government". Fransman said since hearing of the closure, Davids twice received a letter informing her the school's electricity would be cut.

"I saw the tears of this woman… the day she decided she can't see children suffering, that day she became a victim of the DA (Democratic Alliance) provincial government," said Fransman. An ecstatic Davids said she was excited about seeing her pupils return in the new year. "We just got a letter on the 28th of May saying the school will close… that was a very sad day for us, but today, the 21st of December, is a happy day."

Sadtu Western Cape secretary Jonavon Rustin welcomed the ruling and said it sent out a strong message to premier Helen Zille and education MEC Donald Grant. "We came here to tell Helen Zille that you will not mess with the communities," he said. In terms of the ruling, the Western Cape Education Department (WCED) would have to continue to provide subsidies and full support to the affected schools.

"The respondents (Grant and the WCED) are directed to take all reasonable steps, including but not limited to the employment of temporary teachers and the renewal or reinstatement of leases, to ensure that all necessary services are provided to the said 17 schools," Desai ruled. Eighteen schools originally contested the closure, but one of the institutions, Tonko Bosman in Somerset West, agreed to closure. – Sapa

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Sapa
Guest Author
Advertising

READ IT IN FULL: Ramaphosa’s address on the extension of...

This is the full address given by President Cyril Ramaphosa on April 9

Meet the doctor leading Africa’s fight to contain the coronavirus...

Dr Matshidiso Moeti’s father helped to eliminate smallpox. Now she’s leading Africa’s efforts against the coronavirus

Stella set to retain her perks

Communication minister will keep Cabinet perks during her two months of special leave

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Press Releases

Rahima Moosa Hospital nursing college introduces no-touch facial recognition access system

The new system allows the hospital to enrol people’s faces immediately, using artificial intelligence, and integrates easily with existing access control infrastructure, including card readers and biometrics

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world