Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Defeated Australia’s Ashes hopes swept away

Ashes-holders England humiliated their arch-rivals by 347 runs at 'the home of cricket' Lord's on Sunday, with over a day left, to take a 2-0 lead and strengthen their grip on the urn.

Broadsheet newspaper the Australian called it: "A shabby and public humbling at Lord's."

In an opinion piece, the newspaper's cricket writer Gideon Haigh said Usman Khawaja's 54 was the only saving grace by the team's underperforming batsmen, with the top order again failing to deliver sufficient runs.

"Otherwise, events were another stark repudiation of the prevailing Cricket Australia wisdom that fortunes can be revived simply by appointing as coach a wily old stager who tells everyone to go express themselves," he said.

"Mickey Arthur has complained that his dismissal as coach damaged his reputation. This Test has arguably enhanced it."

Arthur was controversially sacked before the series began in favour of Darren Lehmann, with explosive claims of divisions within the Australian team leaked to the media ahead of the second Test.

He is now suing Cricket Australia for Aus$4-million, claiming his reputation has been badly damaged.

Bowled out
Australia was bowled out for 128 in the first innings and 235 in the second with the defeat meaning that following a 4-0 rout in India earlier this year they have lost six Tests in a row for the first time since 1984.

Australia has only once bounced back from a two-nil deficit to win a five-Test Ashes series – in 1936-7 when Donald Bradman plundered 810 runs in the series.

"It would be an astonishing feat for this Australian team, which has now lost six Tests in a row, to emulate such an achievement, given the depths to which it has sunk," the Sydney Morning Herald's cricket writer Chloe Saltau said.

"Australia has 11 days to regroup in mind and body before the third Test at Old Trafford. But the gulf in class is greater than anyone imagined when the Australians embarked on this Ashes tour."

Little hope
The Sydney Daily Telegraph said there seemed to be little hope on the horizon.

"Right now there appear few solutions on how Australia can drag itself back into the series to prevent a 5-0 whitewash," the newspaper said.

"One of the biggest concerns has to be Shane Watson. For the third time in four innings this series he was caught plumb in front, plodding his front leg straight down the pitch to Jimmy Anderson." Watson's dismissal for 20 was his 10th leg before in 18 innings against England.

Captain Michael Clarke remained confident Australia can bounce back, but admitted to the Australian Broadcasting Corporation that their top-order batting failures were unacceptable.

"It doesn't matter who you play against, if you're all out for 125 on a very good batting wicket in your first innings, you're not going to win too many Test matches," he said. – AFP

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Afp Author
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Hawkish Reserve Bank sees South Africa edge towards a rates...

Analysts say the Reserve Bank could start tightening monetary policy as early as next month

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

More top stories

Almost 7 000 children receive Pfizer shot on first day...

More than 39 000 young people had registered on the government’s database by 4pm on Wednesday

Police murder trial: 189 metal pellets killed Nathaniel ‘Lokkies’ Julies

At least 65% of the pellets in the cartridge hit the 16-year-old when he was gunned down in Eldorado Park, Johannesburg, allegedly by in-training constable, Caylene Whiteboy

Hawkish Reserve Bank sees South Africa edge towards a rates...

Analysts say the Reserve Bank could start tightening monetary policy as early as next month

Lucas Radebe: ‘My football career began behind my parents’ back’

Soccer legend Lucas ‘Rhoo’ Radebe is a busy man, but he made time in his hectic schedule to speak to Ntombizodwa Makhoba about his fondest childhood memories, how his soccer career began, and, as a father of eight, his legacy
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×