Moz sticks to voting plans despite threats of boycott

The government intends to stick to the schedule even though the main opposition party warns it will boycott the process.

Jose Pacheco, the government's head of negotiations with the opposition, said Monday that elections will be held whether or not the opposition Renamo group participates.

Municipal elections are scheduled for November 20 2013, and presidential and parliamentary elections are to be held on October 15 next year.

The governing Frelimo party and Renamo disagree over the composition of the state elections panel amid fears that a two-decade peace between the two sides is fraying.

Earlier this year, deadly clashes broke out between Renamo fighters and security forces in central Sofala province.

The unrest has unsettled some investors seeking opportunities in the fast-growing economy.

After winning independence from Portugal in 1975, Mozambique fell into a devastating war between Frelimo, then a Marxist government, and the Renamo rebels, who were backed by neighboring South Africa's apartheid government.

Bias
​In the current dispute, Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama has said he won't stand in the presidential vote unless the electoral law is changed to address what alleged bias against his party.

The head of the Renamo delegation, Saimone Macuiana, said his group wants "parity" in membership of electoral bodies as a way of guaranteeing fair elections.

The Frelimo-dominated Parliament rejected the Renamo demand in December, and Pacheco, the government negotiator, said the opposition's proposal is unacceptable.

"The elections will go ahead as planned," said Pacheco, who is also agriculture minister.

"Mozambique cannot be mortgaged to citizens who do not want to look at Mozambican reality constructively."

The government wants Renamo's security force to disarm, but that issue is also in a deadlock.

Dhlakama, the Renamo leader, has threatened unrest if the government does not compromise, but Jose Mandra, the deputy interior minister, said security forces are on alert to thwart any disturbances.

Some figures in smaller opposition groups have accused the government and Renamo of excluding other segments of society from their negotiations.  – Sapa-AP 

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Sapa Ap
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Harbour views at 9th Avenue Waterside

The award-winning eatery, which offers fine wines and food, is on stilts at Durban’s harbour

Zimbabwe hospital workers plot stillbirth burials

The policy is to cremate deceased infants but Bulawayo Hospital’s incinerators are not working

Salman Rushdie on ventilator, likely to lose an eye after...

The British author of "The Satanic Verses" had to be airlifted to hospital for emergency surgery following the attack

Covid-19 has led to an increase in depression, mental illness...

There has been an unprecedented structural shift in disease patterns, which has highlighted unequal access to healthcare
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×