Competition head denies resigning following porn scandal

Competition Commission head Shan Ramburuth has denied resigning in the wake of a pornography scandal, the Sunday Times reported.

According to the report, Ramburuth "spent an average of R150 000 an hour on a government sim card, some of it hardcore porn".

"As far as I'm concerned, I'm still talking to him [Economic Development Minister Ebrahim Patel] about it … I have in my discussions with him, discussed various options," Ramburuth told the newspaper.

"I would like to conclude that [discussion] with him before making any statement."

Patel's spokesperson Manelisi Wolela, however, said following complaints "relating to acts of misconduct", an investigation by Patel had ensued. "Earlier this week, Ramburuth resigned as commissioner and as an employee of the Competition Commission," he said.


Wolela said the resignation would take effect on October 21.

Bill amount
The Sunday Times referred to a forensic report by Paul O'Sullivan and Associates, which detailed how Ramburuth apparently visited 25 pornographic sites between August and November 2011. His data bill in October that year – while using a government issued sim card overseas – came to a total of R123 000.

"The single largest data usage was on October 15, when he spent 291 minutes (just less than five hours) on pornographic websites," said the newspaper. – Sapa; staff reporter

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Covid infections among health workers increasing in Eastern Cape

Health worker infections have risen to 170 at state and private hospitals and two healthcare staff succumb to the disease in a space of seven days

South Africa’s invisible majority: Women feeding hungry families

Sit up, take notice and get angry that a third of South African households have R120 or less a person a week for food, let alone nutritious food

Digital equality: South Africa still has a long way to go

The lifeline subsidy may enable those who are already connected through smart devices to use data more optimally to enjoy the benefits of being connected, but it does not assist with bringing the 50% of South Africans who are offline, online

Retailers and employers nailed in Covid-19 crackdown

More than 300 complaints have been lodged against unscrupulous suppliers and business owners, who are now under the microscope for violating the Disaster Management Act

Zero-rate mobile services for health, education and development now

Operators must work together — if each network picks which sites to zero-rate, access to information will be determined by the colour of a person’s sim card

Another blow for crisis-ridden Prasa

Adding to the debt-ridden state entity’s woes, the rail agency now faces prosecution for anti-competitive conduct regarding bus terminals and services
Advertising

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

Fees free fall, independent schools close

Parents have lost their jobs or had salaries cut; without state help the schools just can’t survive

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed

White men still rule and earn more

Women and black people occupy only a few seats at the JSE table, the latest PwC report has found
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday