MTN slapped with $4.2bn Turkcell lawsuit

Turkish cellphone company Turkcell has opened a lawsuit in South Africa against rival telecoms company MTN Group seeking damages for losses it says it incurred in Iran.

Turkcell filed a $4.2-billion lawsuit in Washington last year alleging the Johannesburg-based cellphone giant used bribery to win a mobile licence in Iran that was first awarded to Turkcell.

It dropped the suit in May after a US Supreme Court ruling in a separate case made clear that US courts would not have jurisdiction in a matter involving two foreign firms in a dispute outside the United States.

"In a continuation of this process, Turkcell today [Wednesday] opened a lawsuit against MTN in the South Gauteng high court in Johannesburg seeking damages for losses incurred as a result of MTN's actions," the Turkish company said.

In its US filing, Turkcell claimed MTN won the Iranian contract in 2005 by offering to use its influence in Pretoria to help Tehran obtain military hardware and sway South Africa's votes at the International Atomic Energy Agency.


'Brazen orchestra of corruption'
Backed by a collection of alleged MTN internal documents including emails, invoices, memos and presentations, Turkcell's lawsuit accused the South African company of a "staggeringly brazen orchestra of corruption".

MTN rejected the Turkcell allegations and appointed a retired British judge to lead an external investigation into them. That probe dismissed the accusations as "a fabric of lies, distortions and inventions".

An MTN spokesperson declined immediate comment. – Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Reuters
Guest Author

Related stories

High court puts temporary halt on R500-million tablet tender

State technology agency wins first battle in IT tender war, with court to hear rest of the matter on urgent basis

M&G is most trusted weekly news brand

In a poll by the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism, based at Oxford University, the Mail & Guardian emerged as the most trusted weekly publication in South Africa

Inside Facebook’s big bet on Africa

New undersea cables will massively increase bandwidth to the continent

Faster, cheaper data is here – but not for long

There are factors such as exchange rates, electricity costs, security free and fuel prices that are contributors, but additional spectrum will certainly bring about significant change in the local industry

South Africa’s digital divide detrimental to the youth

Without the means to leverage lockdown as a time to grow, Covid-19 reinforces how access to data remains a barrier to young people’s progress

Zero-rate mobile services for health, education and development now

Operators must work together — if each network picks which sites to zero-rate, access to information will be determined by the colour of a person’s sim card
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday