Waterkloof Four: Becker’s privileges suspended after phone found in cell

One of the Waterkloof Four may be moved to another prison after a cellphone was found in his prison cell, the correctional services department said on Monday.

"During a search on Saturday morning, officials found a cellphone in his cell," Gauteng correctional services commissioner Zac Modise told Sapa.

"A disciplinary committee was established yesterday morning [Sunday], and we are considering moving him to another prison, which may happen during this week."

Modise said Christoff Becker's privileges had also been suspended for 32 days.

"He falls under the Group A offenders, those that are better-behaved and can move within other units … So all of his privileges including telephone calls, visits, and movement was suspended," said Modise.


"This offender is showing us he is not disciplined, and his conduct shows he has not been rehabilitated."

Considered parole
He said when parole was considered in a year's time, Becker's actions would be taken into consideration.

Modise said the committee would investigate how he got the cellphone, and whether officials had assisted.

"We will get to the bottom of this."

On February 16, Becker and Frikkie du Preez were re-arrested after footage of them allegedly drinking alcohol and using a cellphone at the Kgosi Mampuru Prison emerged. The video, reportedly taken on a cellphone, was posted on YouTube. It showed Du Preez and Becker drinking, and using a cellphone in jail.

Earlier in February, Becker, Du Preez, Gert van Schalkwyk, and Reinach Tiedt were released after being jailed for beating a homeless man to death in Pretoria in 2001.

Department spokesperson Manelisi Wolela said the investigation into the February 16 incident had been concluded and four officials were facing disciplinary action.

The details of the investigation would be announced once the disciplinary committee had made a decision, Wolela said in a statement.

Parole revoked
The incident comes after two of Waterkloof Four had their parole revoked by the parole board in February.

The Correctional Supervision and Parole Board decided that Frikkie du Preez and Becker would only be due for further consideration for parole after spending another year in jail, spokesperson Manelisi Wolela said at the time.

"This confirms the zero tolerance stance of government, and the department … towards ill-discipline among inmates, parolees, and officials," he said.

On February 16, the two were re-arrested after footage of them allegedly drinking alcohol and using a cellphone in jail emerged.

The video, reportedly taken on a cellphone, was posted on YouTube.

It shows Du Preez and Becker allegedly drinking alcohol, and using a cellphone in a jail cell in Pretoria's Kgosi Mampuru prison. – Sapa

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sapa
Guest Author

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Ithala fails to act against board chairperson over PPE scandal

Morar asked to settle with the state and pay back the profit he made on an irregular tender

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

More top stories

‘Extreme’ tactics and lockdown buy rhino more time

The Rockwood Conservation reserve boasts zero poaching incidents in six years and its breeding project is successful, but costly

What is EFF’s party funding quest?

Its court application to force disclosure of donations to Cyril Ramaphosa may mask a bid to portray him as a capitalist puppet

North West premier in phone tapping claims

‘Agents’ working for Job Mokgoro allegedly tapped ANC and cabinet members’ phones

Judicial committee orders Mogoeng to apologise for SA-Israel remarks

The JCC said that by the chief justice straying into politics, he breached the judicial conduct code and ordered him to issue an apology and retraction
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…