Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Gauteng pays after forced sterilisation for HIV-positive woman

The Gauteng health department has made an out-of-court settlement agreement to pay almost half-a-million rand to an HIV-positive woman for damages for the pain and suffering she endured as a result of being coercively sterilised in a state hospital. The department confirmed on Friday that the settlement was made last month. 

Activists say the outcome of the nearly two year-long legal battle is a "landmark" and sets a precedent for other women who were reportedly strong-armed into the permanent contraceptive procedures because they were HIV-positive.

The 32-year-old woman alleged she was forced to sign a form consenting to the sterilisation when she was admitted to a Johannesburg hospital for the birth of her child in 2009.

According to Sethembiso Mthembu from Her Rights Initiative, a Durban based nongovernmental organisation, the forced sterilisation of HIV-positive women "is reported in all South African provinces".

Mthembu's organisation, along with the University of KwaZulu-Natal's Health Economics and HIV Research Division, released a study in 2012 recording first person accounts of 22 HIV-positive women in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal who were forcefully sterilised.

This is just one of the stories. "The nurse gave her the forms without discussion or explaining the procedure and its implications properly. She was pressured into signing because of her HIV status," says Mthembu.

"Obviously being asked to sign anything while in labour pain or waiting to have a child is not acceptable as per the Sterilisation Act of 1998, it is not a conducive time to take consent."

Diligence standards
Jennifer Williams, from the Women's Legal Centre which represented the woman, says that her organisation "took on the case, among others, to develop due diligence standards for the obtaining of consent so that this and similar sterilisations don't occur".

"We have come across such sterilisations of women who are refugees too," she explains. "Apart from limiting women's reproductive choices, the moral judgments behind these sterilisations de-humanise particular groups of women."

Williams says that because the matter was settled between the department and her client, "the court didn't make a finding on the allegation" that the sterilisation was done because of her HIV status.  

Now the government has to cover the cost of the "resources to facilitate either reversal of her sterilisation and also to seek alternative conception procedures, in vitro fertilisation being one on them", says Mthembu.

"The department does not believe in forced or coerced sterilisation. It is the right of every woman to decide on whether to be sterilised or not. We can only advise then allow a woman to make an informed decision," said Gauteng health spokesperson Simon Zwane.

Similar cases have also been reported in a number of African countries, including Namibia, Lesotho, SwaziIand, Mozambique, Kenya and Uganda. In 2012, a Namibian court ruled in favour of three women who were coercively sterilised because they were HIV-positive.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Ina Skosana
Ina Skosana was a health reporter at Bhekisisa, the Mail & Guardian’s centre for health journalism, from 2013 to 2017.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×