Zuma asks Parliament to move State of the Nation address

Parliament sources have told the Mail & Guardian that Zuma wrote to Parliament on Friday with this request citing “unforeseen circumstances”.

Parliament spokesperson, Luzuko Jacobs confirmed that Parliament has received the request to move the Sona date, but said he did not know the reasons for the proposed changes. “I wouldn’t know. Remember [that] Parliament hosts the president at his request,” he said before referring the question to Zuma’s office. 

Presidential spokesperson Mac Maharaj said the president changed the date to enable him to do both the Sona and the AU Heads of State Summit in Equatorial Guinea. “The new date allows Sona and debate to take place during the same week. This allows for our attendance at the AU Summit. It is simply a scheduling issue,” said Maharaj.

Parliament had announced earlier this week, that the state of the nation address would be held on the evening of Thursday, June 19. This will be Zuma’s first address to Parliament since his re-election on May 7. The address is expected to set the tone for the new administration’s plans for the country over the next five years. 

The Sona is the biggest event on parliament’s programme. It is attended by representatives of all the spheres of governments, leaders of the judiciary, business, former presidents and international guests. 


The Presidency announced on Saturday morning that Zuma had been admitted to hospital for tests. It said doctors were satisfied with his condition. This came a day after the ruling ANC advised Zuma to rest “following a demanding elections and transition programme to the new administration”.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday