Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Four jailed for botched hit on Rwandan general

Four men were jailed for eight years each by the Kagiso Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday for attempting to murder a former Rwandan general, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) said.

Rwandan national Amani Uriwane, and Tanzanians Hassan Mohammedi Nduli, Sady Abdou and Hemedi Dengengo Sefu, were each sentenced to eight years for attempted murder, five years for possession of an unlicensed firearm, and two years for possession of illegal ammunition, NPA spokesperson Nathi Mncube said. The sentences would run concurrently.

Six men – three Rwandans and three Tanzanians – were arrested and tried for the failed plot to kill General Kayumba Nyamwasa, a former member of Rwandan President Paul Kagame’s inner circle, French news agency Agence France-Presse reported.

AFP reported that two of the Rwandans – the alleged mastermind and Nyamwasa’s former driver – were acquitted by magistrate Stanley Mkhari during their last court appearance on August 29.

‘Security operatives’
Nyamwasa fled to South Africa in February 2010 after falling out with the Kigali administration.

He was shot and wounded in Pretoria in June 2010 in what was described as an attack by foreign “security operatives”.

Mkhari found that the assassination attempt was politically motivated.

Nyamwasa has been given asylum in South Africa. Spain and France want to extradite him for his alleged role in the 1994 genocide, AFP reported.

Rwanda wanted him to serve a 24-year prison sentence there after a military court tried him in absentia on charges of desertion, defamation, and threatening state security.

He also faces terrorism charges for allegedly masterminding grenade attacks in Kigali in the run-up to Rwanda’s 2010 presidential elections, AFP reported.

Exiled, shot and wounded
The exiled Rwandan general was shot and wounded in 2010 in what his wife called a Rwandan-backed assassination attempt, a charge the Kigali government dismissed as “preposterous”.

Nyamwasa was in the intensive care unit of a Johannesburg hospital after being shot in the stomach, Rosette Kayumba told Reuters Television.

Nyamwasa’s wife said she, her husband, their children and a driver had returned home from a shopping trip when an armed man approached their car and shot her husband.

Her husband and the driver got out of the car and scuffled with the gunman before he fled, she said. She said doctors told her her husband would survive.

Kayumba said she believed Kagame was behind the attack, and ruled out an attempted robbery or car hijacking because the gunman targeted only her husband and did not try to steal the car.

“He must be behind this, I don’t have proof … but we’ve been harassed for such a long time,” she said of Kagame.

Louise Mushikiwabo, Rwandan foreign minister and government spokesperson, told Reuters by telephone: “Not only do I deny it, I think it’s preposterous for Mrs Nyamwasa to be making that kind of comment.”

She added: “The Rwandan government does not go around shooting innocent citizens …The time when presidents and governments went around assassinating their citizens is over in Rwanda.”

Tit-for-tat row
Previously this year, South Africa expelled three Rwandan diplomats on the suspicion that they were behind the assassination attempts, and South Africa declared them “persona non grata”, saying they had “violated their diplomatic privileges”.

Rwanda immediately retaliated by expelling six South African diplomats from Kigali. Kagame’s response to Pretoria’s allegations was both ambiguous and hawkish. “Anyone who betrays our cause or wishes our people ill will fall victim,” he said at the time.

The presence of many Rwandan dissidents in South Africa has long been a bone of contention between the two countries, but relations turned frosty after Kigali’s exiled former intelligence chief Patrick Karegeya was found strangled to death in a luxury Johannesburg hotel.

The full-blown row was sparked by Nyamwasa’s assassination attempt. – AFP, staff reporter

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Afp And
Guest Author

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Eastern Cape premier Mabuyane lives large amid province’s poverty

Oscar Mabuyane and MEC Babalo Madikizela allegedly used a portion of state funds for struggle icon Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s commemoration for their own benefit

Constitutional court confirms warrantless searches in cordoned off areas unconstitutional

The law was challenged in response to raids in inner Johannesburg seemingly targeting illegal immigrants and the highest court has pronounced itself 10 days before an election in which then mayor Herman Mashaba has campaigned on an anti-foreigner ticket

A blunt Mantashe makes no promises during election campaigning

ANC chairperson Gwede Mantashe told people in Daveyton to stop expecting handouts from the government

Mbeki: Social compact the answer to promises made in ANC...

Former president Thabo Mbeki urged business and government and society to work together to tackle issues such as poverty, unemployment and poor services and infrastructure
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×