Facilities for Burundi refugees at breaking point: MSF

Doctors without Borders (MSF) told Al Jazeera on Wednesday that the Nyarugusu refugee camp near the Tanzanian town of Kasulu, close to the border with Burundi, was simply not coping with the number of new arrivals.

MSF spokesperson said that aid agencies were struggling to provide sufficient food, water, shelter and healthcare to those in need with the second camp still yet to be built.

“The UNHCR requested a second site from the authorities at the beginning of June, but this has not worked so far,” Tim Shenk said.

Burundi has been embroiled in a political crisis since April when President Pierre Nkurunziza announced his intention to run for a third term in office prompting protests in the capital, Bujumbura.

In the months leading-up to the disputed presidential elections that were held on July 21, about 100 people had been killed and more than 167 000 others had fled to neighbouring Rwanda, Tanzania and the DR Congo, as violence and intimidation spread across the small east African country.


On Wednesday, electoral officials were still counting the votes. Results are expected on Thursday, with Nkurunziza expected to win after the elections were boycotted by the opposition who say conditions were neither free nor fair. The AU has also refused to endorse the elections.

Authorities say that Tanzania’s Nyarugusu camp, built in 1997 to host a maximum of 50 000 refugees displaced from the civil war in DR Congo, is quickly reaching 250% of its actual capacity. Together with the 65 000 Congolese refugees already at Nyarugusu, there are now 135 000 refugees in the camp.

Given the ongoing tensions and continued clashes on the streets between opposition supporters and police, aid agencies are concerned the crisis will only deepen.

“[We are] expecting a bigger influx of Burundian refugees into Tanzania. Looking at the newest UNHCR figures, there have been nearly an additional 6 000 individuals who have fled the country overnight,” Sarah Pickwick, senior conflict advisor of NGO World Vision UK told Al Jazeera.

“There is an urgent need for funding to ensure that we meet the critical needs. The UN reports that its £207-million appeal for the entire regional crisis in May has only been 13% funded. This is the primary reason for the conditions we are presently seeing within Nyarugusu where the overstretched camp has thousands of refugees living in squalid and deplorable conditions,” Pickwick said.

The UNHCR said on Wednesday that more than 79 000 Burundians had arrived in Tanzania since May, including some 2 015 between July 12 and July 19 alone. The UN estimates that 500 people were arriving everyday.

Follow Azad Essa on Twitter

The post Facilities for Burundi refugees at breaking point: MSF appeared first on African Media Agency.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Azad Essa
Azad Essa works from New York | Johannesburg. Journalist @MiddleEastEye; Associate at Department of African and African American Studies at Harvard Uni; @AJEnglish alum Azad Essa has over 26489 followers on Twitter.
Advertising

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts

Battle over R6bn workers’ retirement fund

Allegations from both sides tumble out in court papers

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday