Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Former Brazil President Lula da Silva, wife and six others charged with corruption

Brazilian prosecutors filed corruption charges on Wednesday against former President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, his wife and six others in the sprawling Petrobras kickback scandal, dealing a big blow to the popular leader’s chances of a comeback.

This was the first time Lula, still Brazil’s most popular politician despite corruption accusations against him and his Workers Party, was charged by federal prosecutors for involvement in the massive graft scheme at the state-run oil company.

Lula’s case will go before crusading anti-corruption judge, Sergio Moro, who has jailed dozens of executives and others involved in the scheme.

Lula could face arrest for receiving a luxury apartment on the coast of Sao Paulo from one of the engineering and construction firms at the centre of the bribery scandal. Lula has denied ownership of the three-floor condo in Guarujá.

Federal police urged prosecutors last month to bring charges against Lula and his wife, accusing them of receiving some 2.4-million reais in benefits from the builder, OAS, in relation to the apartment.

The charges announced by prosecutors in a statement were also levelled against Leo Pinheiro, former head of the OAS engineering firm accused of giving gifts to Lula in exchange for favours, and the head of Lula’s foundation, Paulo Okamotto

Lula, a charismatic former union leader who was a two-term president from 2003 to 2010, has separately been indicted by a court in Brasilia for obstruction of justice in a case related to an attempt to persuade a defendant in the Petrobras scandal not to turn state witness.

Lula’s fall, and that of the leftist party he founded in 1980, has been dramatic.

Last month, his protégé and successor as president, Dilma Rousseff, was removed from office in an impeachment trial.

Rousseff’s fall was driven by Brazil’s worst recession since the 1930s and its biggest ever corruption scandal, which has implicated dozens of politicians from her ruling coalition, including several in the Brazilian Democratic Movement Party led by current President Michel Temer. 

Blow to Lula myth 
Lula, 70, has not ruled out running again for president in 2018, but a criminal conviction would bar him from being a candidate for the next eight years.

A one-time shoeshine boy and union leader who led massive strikes against Brazil’s military dictatorship, contributing to its downfall, he was elected the nation’s first working class president in 2002 after three failed campaigns.

Wildly popular with Brazil’s poor, Lula’s social policies helped yank millions out of poverty and into the middle class and he left office in 2010 with an 83% approval rating and an economy that grew at a blistering 7.5%.

But two years ago, as the Petrobras probe became public, prosecutors began to slowly put Lula in their crosshairs.

Many prosecutors and investigators say they cannot imagine such a powerful figure was unaware of the institutionalized corruption and political kickbacks taking place at Petrobras and other state-run companies.

Marcos Troyjo, a former Brazilian diplomat and co-director of Columbia University’s BRICLab in Rio de Janeiro, said he thinks Wednesday’s charges are the first of many Lula will be facing in the coming months.

“That means the Workers Party, which may have thought it would move comfortably into the opposition after Dilma’s impeachment, will confront extreme challenges,” said Troyjo. 

“It’s certainly the beginning of the end to Lula’s presidential aspirations for 2018.”

Recent polls have shown that despite the investigations targeting Lula and the Workers Party, he would be a favourite to win the next presidential election – by far the Workers Party’s best hope of regaining power.

“But these charges are likely too big a blow to the political myth of Lula, to the candidate Lula and to the Workers Party as a whole for that to happen,” Troyjo said. – Reuters

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Anthony Boadle
Anthony Boadle works from Brasilia. Reuters correspondent Anthony Boadle has over 4047 followers on Twitter.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Kenya’s beach boys fall into sex tourism, trafficking

In the face of their families’ poverty, young men, persuaded by the prospect of wealth or education, travel to Europe with their older female sponsors only to be trafficked for sex

High court reinstates Umgeni Water board

The high court has ruled that the dissolution of the water entity’s board by Minister Lindiwe Sisulu was unfair and unprocedural

Mkhize throws the book at the Special Investigating Unit

It’s a long shot at political redemption for the former health minister and, more pressingly, a bid to avert criminal charges
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×