Philippine news website’s licence revoked after Duterte threat

The Philippine government has revoked the operating licence of leading news website Rappler, officials said Monday in a ruling denounced by President Rodrigo Duterte’s critics as another blow to press freedom.

Rappler, set up in 2012, is among a clutch of Philippine news organisations that have sparred with Duterte over their critical coverage of his brutal drugs war.

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) said it had revoked the incorporation certificates of Rappler and Rappler Holdings Corp because they violated a provision in the Philippine constitution reserving media ownership to Filipinos.

“(Both are) existing for no other purpose than to effect a deceptive scheme to circumvent the constitution,” the agency said in a January 11 ruling posted on its website Monday.

Rappler’s acting managing editor Chay Hofilena told AFP the company would file a court appeal against the ruling, which is due to take effect in 15 days.


“This is pure and simple harassment, the seeming coup de grace to the relentless and malicious attacks against us since 2016,” the website said in a statement, adding Duterte was among those who had attacked it.

“We will continue bringing you the news, holding the powerful to account for their actions and decisions, calling attention to government lapses that further disempower the disadvantaged,” it said.

The case concerns Rappler Holdings’ decision to issue Philippine depositary receipts for shares of Rappler Inc. that the government said were sold to foreign companies.

At his state of the nation address to Congress last year Duterte vowed to expose Rappler’s “American ownership”.

The ruling followed setbacks suffered by other Philippine news organisations which have criticised Duterte’s war on drugs that has killed nearly 4,000 suspects.

In March last year Duterte described top newspaper Philippine Daily Inquirer and leading television broadcaster ABS-CBN as “sons of whores” and warned them of karmic repercussions over their criticism of his drug war.

“I’m not threatening them but someday their karma will catch up with them,” Duterte said.

“They’re shameless, those sons of whore journalists,” Duterte said.

Four months later the Inquirer announced its owners were in talks to sell the publication. A business tycoon who backed Duterte’s 2016 election bid later disclosed he was planning to buy the Inquirer.

Last year Duterte threatened to block ABS-CBN’s application to renew its operating franchise, a permit that requires congressional approval.

The mass media watchdog group National Union of Journalists of the Philippines denounced the Rappler ruling.

“It was but one of many threats Duterte has made against media critical of him and his governance, such as the Philippine Daily Inquirer and broadcast network ABS-CBN,” the union said in a statement.

“We call on all Filipino journalists to unite and resist every and all attempts to silence us,” the group added.

Opposition Senator Risa Hontiveros also criticised the Rappler ruling, calling it “pure harassment and a clear attack on press freedom”.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said the government respected the SEC ruling.

“The Securities and Exchange Commission is empowered to determine the legality of corporations,” Roque said in a statement.

He added that Rappler “may wish to exhaust all available remedies until the decision becomes final”.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

‘Killing the chicken to scare the monkey’: what Jimmy Lai’s arrest means for Hong Kong’s independent media

Although self-censorship has long been a concern, Hong Kong has traditionally enjoyed a vibrant free press

The media is dead, long live the king

The state of King Mswati’s health is just one of many contentious issues that cannot be reported on in eSwatini

After a 55-year struggle, a major victory for press freedom in Sierra Leone

A law used to harass and intimidate journalists has been repealed

Zimbabwean journalist ‘fears for his life’ after being singled out by Zanu-PF

Hopewell Chin’ono recently published a series of Facebook posts that outline alleged connections between President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s son and a company that was awarded tender to supply equipment to prevent the spread of Covid-19

Viral authoritarianism during the Covid-19 pandemic

Authoritarian leaders have often used natural disasters to tighten their grasp on power. We are seeing the same happen during the coronavirus crisis, in dictatorships and democracies alike

Moi and the media: How Kenyan journalism suffered under his iron heel

The former president's stranglehold on the press made it very difficult for journalists to do their jobs
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday