Traces of listeria see another Tiger Brands factory shut down

Tiger Brands has suspended production at its Pretoria plant following detection of “very low levels” of Listeria monocytogenes.

The company said that the bacteria detected was within government standards, however, it had decided to take precautionary steps by closing the plant and recalling all ready-to-eat Snax products.

It said in a press statement that given the closure of the Polokwane, Germiston and Pretoria sites, Tiger Brands would also begin to wind down operations at its Clayville abattoir, in Gauteng, with the hope of suspending operations by the end of March.

READ MORE: Listeriosis- Mind the regulatory gap

The abattoir had been the primary meat supplier for the three factories.


“During this period of investigation and discovery we have decided to be extra cautious and to take immediate precautionary action when traces of Listeria are detected where they are not expected,” chief executive of Tiger Brands Lawrence MacDougall said in the statement. “We are investing all our time and energy into not only understanding the cause of the ST6 detection, but also how it could have come into our facility.”

The company brought in an independent group that confirmed the presence of the ST6 strain of  Listeria in its Polokwane factory on March 15.

To date, the Germiston and Polokwane operations remain closed and all Enterprise ready-to-eat meat products are no longer available for sale. 

READ MORE: Supermarkets rush to pull foods implicated in Listeriosis outbreak

This article has been amended to reflect updates.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

Q&A Sessions: ‘I should have fought harder for SA vaccine’...

Professor Salim Abdool Karim talks to Nicolene de Wee about his responsibility as head of the ministerial advisory committee tasked with guiding the government’s response to the Covid-19 pandemic.

More top stories

‘No one took us seriously’: Black cops warned about racist...

Allegations of racism against the Capitol Police are nothing new: Over 250 Black cops have sued the department since 2001. Some of those former officers now say it’s no surprise white nationalists were able to storm the building

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre

Children may benefit when parents share their digital gaming...

Digital games can provide forums for diverse groups of people to come together, which is especially important while our physical activities are restricted
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…