Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Sassa crisis: Dlamini and Bhengu set to explain why they shouldn’t be held liable

Embattled minister in the presidency for women Bathabile Dlamini and Sassa acting CEO Pearl Bhengu have been given until Monday to explain why they should not foot the bill for the CPS contract extension.

Last month, the Constitutional Court gave Dlamini and Bhengu until Monday to explain, via affidavits, why they shouldn’t be held personally liable to foot the bill for the extension of the Cash Paymaster Services (CPS) contract to continue distributing social grants.

The Constitutional Court granted Sassa an application to allow CPS to continue distributing the grants by another six months.

READ MORE: ConCourt allows extension of Sassa’s contract with CPS for 6 months

Despite granting the extension, Chief Justice Mogoeng Mogoeng wanted to know why Sassa only approached the court in February and not in December 2017, when they were aware that an extension would be necessary.

Around 2.8 million beneficiaries ― roughly 26% of the scheme, receive their grants in cash.

The court further ordered Dlamini and Bhengu to explain why they should not be held liable for extension of the contract.

For a period of six months from April 1, Sassa and CPS must ensure that the social grants paid to beneficiaries in cash, take place on the same terms and conditions as stipulated in the current contract.

CPS may in writing, request that the National Treasury investigate and make a recommendation regarding the price to be paid for the services it is to render during the six-month period.

Treasury must then file a report with the court, within 21 days of receipt of the request, setting out its recommendation.

At the time, civil rights group Black Sash, which played an integral part in shedding light on the social grants payment crisis, is of the view that the six-month extension is not enough time for Sassa to get a new tender for the cash payment of grants.

“The six-month extension is too tight,” a representative told News24 at the time, adding that the bidding process for a new contract was frustrated by a lack of detail in the tender that went out.

“The tender process is nowhere. The biding must start from scratch and thereafter an appointment must still be made,” she said. ― News24

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and get the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. For the latest updates and political analysis, sign up to our daily elections newsletter.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, a full year’s access is just R510, half the usual cost. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Jan Bornman
Jan Bornman
Reporter at New Frame. Interested in migration, refugees and asylum seekers' stories. MA in Migration & Displacement.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Khaya Koko: John Steenhuisen, please take a knee

The Democratic Alliance leader rebuking cricketer Quinton de Dock would be this election season’s greatest triumph

Paddy Harper: Will the Covid-19 cigarette ban come back to...

Flashbacks of nicotine deprivation and not poor service delivery may see a run on the polls on Monday

Eskom resorts to stage four load-shedding

Stage-four outages will continue until Friday after the loss of two units during the night, and three in total at Medupi, Kusile and Matla power plants tripping

DA-run metro favoured in citizen satisfaction survey

Cape Town emerged as the leader on overall citizen satisfaction for the fifth consecutive year, followed by Ekurhuleni
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×