Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Government making strides in fee-free tertiary education drive

Minister of Higher Education and Training Naledi Pandor briefed the media on Tuesday morning about the progress made in implementing fee-free tertiary education.

There are still challenges the department needs to “iron out” said Pandor, one of which is teething problems with the NSFAS’s new “student centred model”, which was implemented last year.

Pandor said the department has made strides in government providing additional funding for students from poor and working class families to the tune of R7.166-billion. Funding of R4.582-billion has been allocated for universities and R2.585-billion to technical vocational education and training (TVET) colleges. 

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) will also get an increase from R9.849-billion in 2017-2018 to R35.321-billion in 2020/2021, said Pandor. A further R105-million has been allocated “to increase and strengthen its administrative capacity”.

“So what has changed? Government will support poor and working class students through an expanded bursary scheme. That replaces the previous loan and partial bursary scheme. Although first time entering students will not have to pay back the cost their bursary. They will be expected to meet certain conditions and expectations including those related to satisfactory academic performance and service conditions,” said Pandor.

Some of the ways government will be supporting poor and working class students is through the provision of food, accommodation and transport.

Pandor said approximately 50 480 TVET colleges students will qualify for accomodation and food, with a further 82 600 qualifying for transport allowances.

However, with the department’s success, there have been challenges.

In 2017, NSFAS migrated to the new “student-centred model” which would see students only apply once for funding instead of each year until they complete their studies. The system promises to open a direct line of communication between the student and NSFAS, with students able to access allocated allowances directly through the sBux system and NSFAS able to check on the student’s academic performance.

However, the migration to the new model has led to several challenges with many students criticizing the programme at the start of the academic year, because they had not received their NSFAS funding or allowances payments.

Pandor has called on all academic institutions to work with her department and NSFAS to deal with students who have not yet received their funding. The key, the department said, is to make sure the system works.

Following former president Jacob Zuma’s announcement that government would offer fee-free education to poor and working class students, those who are currently enrolled in NSFAS will have their loans converted to grants when they graduate. If students drop out of university, the grant will be written off. Pandor insisted the department has put measures in place to help students to successfully complete their studies.

A student can qualify for a bursary that covers both tuition and learning materials if their families are earning a gross combined annual income of R350 000 or less. 

READ THE FULL STATEMENT BELOW: 

Media Statement on Student Funding by the Minister of Higher Education and Training by eNCA.com on Scribd

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×