Read the damning SIU report on Gauteng health department corruption
The Special Investigating Unit (SIU) was issued a proclamation by then president Jacob Zuma in May 2010 to probe allegations of corruption at the Gauteng department of health.
As prescribed by the proclamation, the SIU investigation covered the period January 1 2006 to May 14 2010.
The final report detailing the outcomes of the probe was submitted to Zuma in March 2017. However, it was only released over a year later in May 2018 by the Ramaphosa administration following a Promotion of Access to Information Act (PAIA) request by non-governmental organisation SECTION27.
The report alleges that during his tenure as Gauteng health MEC from 2006 to 2009, Brian Hlongwa brought the department to its knees with limousine-chauffeured luxury spa treatments, jobs for cash and blatant corruption.
The SIU has referred the matter to the South Gauteng Director of Public Prosecution, among other legal bodies, for possible criminal charges to be brought against those involved including the former health MEC.
Ten matters were referred to the unit for investigation including the incurrence of unauthorised expenditure, irregular expenditure, fruitless and wasteful expenditure in respect to services rendered to address the Auditor-General’s qualified audit for the 2007/2008 financial year. In its findings, the SIU quantifies the amount wasted to graft as totalling R 1 201 681 132.41.
The report further implicates the below politicians and civil servants as having had a part in corrupt dealings in the department.
- Brian Hlongwa – former MEC for Health in Gauteng
- Sybil Ngcobo – former Head of Department;
- Dr Abdul Rahman – former COO and special adviser to the MEC;
- Mr Ramaano – former Chief Director, Supply Chain Management;
- Dr Mookeletsi – former Director of the Executive Supports Programme Management (ESPM)
- Ms Mosupi – former Director of ICT;
- Mr Ramogale – former Director of Finance: ESPM;
- Mr Kedama – former Director of Special Projects;
- Ms Bailey – former ICT Commodity Manager;
- Mr Tulsee – Director of ICT;
- Mr Lebodi – Director of Human Resources Management and Organisational Development;
- Ms Mogase – former Deputy Director of Human Resource Management and Organisational Development.
Read the full report and its summary below.