Treasury permits cash-strapped SABC to take on more debt

Treasury has allowed the cash-strapped SABC to take on more debt to ease its current financial woes, Communications Minister Nomvula Mokonyane has confirmed.

Mokonyane pointed out that the government would not allow the public broadcaster “to collapse”.

“The Auditor-General has highlighted seriously the viability of the SABC as a going concern and to this end, as the shareholder working with the board, our engagements with the national treasury have been concluded and the National Treasury has granted consent for the SABC to increase its borrowing limits from the capital markets in line with the Public Finance Management Act and the Broadcasting Act,” she added.

The SABC has had a net loss of R622-million in this financial year.

‘Significant progress’

However, Mokonyane says the loss is “significant progress” compared to a R977-million loss in the 2016/2017 financial year.


The financial viability of the broadcaster has been under the spotlight as it failed to pay creditors earlier this year.

The broadcaster has faced financial maladministration and misgovernance over the years, under former chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng.

Mokonyane said they would use the increased amount to pay creditors, including independent producers, Sentech and the South African Football Association.

“Secondly, these funds will be utilised to acquire new content to replenish the current content offering so as to attract new audiences, thus generating commercial revenues,” she added.

Turnaround team

Mokonyane believes the SABC can be turned around.

She said a turnaround task team had been put together, comprising the department of communication, national treasury and the SABC, with treasury assigning a turnaround specialist to look into the strategy. She said the strategy was presented to her on Tuesday for her consideration.

“Such a strategy will provide a holistic assessment of the broadcaster and identify means and ways to guarantee the future sustainability of the SABC,” she said.

“We do believe that we have the right skills in the board and management to drive a robust turnaround strategy that will lead the broadcaster on a new path towards a public broadcaster that embodies sound corporate and financial management, embraces new technologies and digitisation, and is geared towards increasing revenue and diversifying income streams,” Mokonyane said. — Fin24

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Agency
External source

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Poachers in prisons tell their stories

Interviews with offenders provide insight into the structure of illegal wildlife trade networks

Covid-overflow hospital in ruins as SIU investigates

A high-level probe has begun into hundreds of millions of rand spent by the Gauteng health department to refurbish a hospital that is now seven months behind schedule – and lying empty

More top stories

The politics of the Zuma-Zondo showdown

Any move made by the Zondo commission head or by former president Jacob Zuma must be calculated, because one mistake from either side could lead to a political fallout

Museveni declared winner of disputed Uganda election

Security personnel out in force as longtime president wins sixth term and main challenger Bobi Wine alleges rigging.

Pay-TV inquiry probes the Multichoice monopoly

Africa’s largest subscription television operator says it is under threat amid the emerging popularity of global platforms like Netflix and Amazon Prime

​No apology or comfort as another Marikana mother dies without...

Nomawethu Ma’Bhengu Sompeta, whose funeral will be held this weekend, was unequivocal in calling out the government for its response to the Marikana massacre
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…