Poya launched private probe into rail regulator board

Suspended Rail Safety Regulator (RSR) chief executive Nkululeko Poya has revealed that he instructed investigators to determine which board members at the regulator were “actively acting against him”.

Poya’s admission forms part of an urgent interdict launched at the labour court in October, where he sought to have disciplinary proceedings against him set aside. The interdict was heard in October but was dismissed and his disciplinary hearing started in Pretoria on Monday.

Included in the 13 misconduct charges against him is an allegation that he commissioned private investigations into current and former board members as well as a Mail & Guardian journalist, Athandiwe Saba.

Poya is also charged with gross misconduct for delaying the granting of a safety permit for the Bombela Operating Company which manages the Gautrain, irregular human resource practices and failing to monitor the RSR’s office lease agreement.

In the labour court application, Poya says two members of the board “undermine[d] the RSR” and himself, which is why he took “necessary steps” to protect the organisation.


READ MORE: State agency lied to spy on reporter

In March, the M&G reported how an RSR official obtained Saba’s private cellphone records after she wrote a story implicating Poya in corruption. The names of “suspects” at the rail agency regulator who spoke to Saba were then identified in an intelligence report, which was sent to Poya’s personal email account.

At the time, Poya denied any involvement in the surveillance,
saying: “I didn’t even see the report. I have no idea what report you are talking about.”

Poya was also accused by a whistleblower of spying on his colleagues on the RSR board, but, at the time, he denied these allegations as well.

Poya’s lawyer, Sonette Lancaster, said her client could not comment on the hearing or on any of the charges because “the matter is sub judice”.

Poya was employed as chief executive of the RSR in 2011 and has had a turbulent history with the agency, with allegations of nepotism and maladministration following him over the years. In November last year, Poya was suspended with immediate effect.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday