Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

US accuses China for massive Marriott hotel chain data theft

The United States has blamed China for the massive hack of data from as many as 500-million guests from the Marriott hotel chain, the world’s biggest hospitality group.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Wednesday told Fox News that the US believed China masterminded the hacking, which included the theft of credit card and passport numbers over a four-year period from guests who stayed at hotels previously operated by Starwood, a brand bought by Marriott in 2016.

“They have committed cyber attacks across the world,” Pompeo said on Fox’s Fox & Friends programme.

“We consider them a strategic competitor,” he added, referring to China, the world’s second largest economy. “They are taking actions in the South China Sea. They’re conducting espionage and influence operations here in the United States.”

There was no immediate comment from the Chinese government.

US investigators suspect the hackers were working on behalf of the Chinese ministry of state security, an official briefed on the investigation who requested anonymity told The Associated Press news agency.

The official said investigators were particularly concerned about the data breach because Marriott is used frequently by the US military and government agencies.

US suspicions of Chinese involvement in the Marriott theft come amid heightened rivalry between the two countries over trade, geo-politics and technology despite continuing attempts to reach a truce.

Arrests

This month’s arrest in Canada of Meng Wanzhou, a top executive of Chinese electronics giant Huawei, at the request of the US has complicated efforts to resolve a dispute which has seen Washington slap tariffs on $250-billion worth of Chinese goods, and Beijing responding in kind.

Meng, Huawei’s chief financial officer, was picked up on a US warrant on December 1 and has been granted bail pending extradition hearings.

President Donald Trump said he would get involved in the Huawei case if it would help produce a trade agreement with China, but Canada’s Foreign Minister Chrystia Freeland on Wednesday warned the United States not to politicise extradition cases.

Meanwhile, China has detained Michael Kovrig, a former Canadian diplomat who now works with the global conflict research firm International Crisis Group. 

The US is clamping down on what it sees as a sustained attack on its government and companies and is expected to announce new charges this week against hackers from China’s military and intelligence services.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) is said to be investigating the Marriott hack.

Chinese espionage efforts have become “the most severe counterintelligence threat facing our country today,” Bill Priestap, the assistant director of the FBI’s counterintelligence division, told the Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday. “Every rock we turn over, every time we looked for it, it’s not only there, it’s worse than we anticipated.”

At the committee hearing, officials from the justice department, the FBI and the Department of homeland security said that China was working to steal trade secrets and intellectual property from US companies in order to harm America’s economy and further its own development.

Priestap said federal officials have been trying to convey the extent of the threat to business leaders and others in government. “The bottom line is they will do anything they can to achieve their aims,” he said.

Cyber-security expert Jesse Varsalone, of University of Maryland University College, said the Marriott hack given its length and the information stolen, showed signs of the involvement of a foreign intelligence agency.

“It’s about intelligence, human intelligence,” he said. “To me, it seems focused on tracking certain people.”

US crackdown

Priscilla Moriuchi of Recorded Future, an East Asia specialist who left the US’s National Security Agency last year after a 12-year career, cautioned that no one has put out any actual data or indicators showing Chinese state actor involvement in the Marriott intrusion.

Marriott acquired Starwood, which includes such brands as Sheraton, W Hotels and St. Regis, in 2016. The hospitality group itself has not commented on the likely hackers.

“Our primary objectives in this investigation are figuring out what occurred and how we can best help our guests,” Marriott spokesperson Connie Kim said. “We have no information about the cause of this incident, and we have not speculated about the identity of the attacker.”

In the last few months, the justice department has filed several charges against Chinese hackers and intelligence officials.

A case filed in October marked the first time that a Chinese ministry of state security intelligence officer was extradited to the United States for trial.

Prosecutors allege Yanjun Xu recruited employees of major aerospace companies, including GE Aviation, and attempted to persuade them to travel to China under the guise of giving a presentation at a university. He was charged with attempting to steal trade secrets from several American aviation and aerospace companies.

The justice department is training prosecutors across the country to bring more of these cases, US Assistant Attorney General John Demers told the senate judiciary committee.

“We cannot tolerate a nation that steals the fruit of our brainpower,” he said. — Al Jazeera

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Agency
External source

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×