DRC court to examine election appeal from Tuesday

The Democratic Republic of the Congo’s Constitutional Court said it would start hearing on Tuesday an appeal against presidential election results that gave victory to opposition leader Felix Tshisekedi.

“The Constitutional Court will start examining the appeal by Martin Fayulu tomorrow, from 9:30 am (0830 GMT),” press officer Baudouin Mwehu told AFP on Monday.

READ MORE: Who is Martin Fayulu?

Fayulu, likewise from the opposition, was declared runner-up in the December 30 poll to choose a successor to President Joseph Kabila, in power for the last 18 years.

He says the results released last Thursday were an “electoral coup” that, he alleges, was forged in backroom dealings between Tshisekedi and Kabila.

“What we are expecting from the Constitutional Court is for the truth of the ballot box to be restored,” said Albert Fabrice Puela, one of Fayulu’s lawyers.


“The result announced by CENI is an abuse,” he told AFP, referring to the Independent National Election Commission, which supervised the election.

Tshisekedi was credited with 38.57% of the vote, against 34.8% for Fayulu, according to the provisional results.

Emmanuel Ramazani Shadary, the candidate backed by Kabila, came a distant third with 23.8%.

In the few opinion polls conducted before the vote, Fayulu had been tipped as clear favourite. He claims he garnered 61 percent of the ballot.

Spotlight on court

Fayulu filed his appeal on Friday. The nine-member court has a week to study the request before giving its ruling, with the new president scheduled to be sworn in on January 22, according to Corneille Nangaa, head of CENI.

In the meantime, voices suggesting a recount have risen from abroad.

The Southern African Development Community (SADC), a bloc that includes Angola and South Africa, called on Sunday for a unity government.

The SADC also urged a recount to “provide the necessary reassurance to both winners and losers.”

It sounded a somewhat softer tone on Monday, stressing that any such consideration “should be left to the sovereign internal procedures” of the DRC.

Also Monday, Foreign Minister Didier Reynders of Belgium — the Democratic Republic of Congo’s former colonial power — said a recount was a good idea.

“Obviously, having transparency is always the first step, and then you have to ask yourself if, on the basis of what has been published, one should start a recount process,” he told the public broadcaster RTBF.

Tshisekedi’s spokesman, Vidiye Tshimanga, said his party, the UDPS, “will accept a recount if it is a decision by the Constitutional Court.”

“However, we are against a recount if it is imposed by foreign countries,” he told a press conference.

Constitutional law expert Sylvain-Patrick Lumu Mbaya said that a recount was certainly one of the options available to the court.

“The court may have doubts (about the result), and if so, it can take exceptional measures, including a recount,” he said.

However, suspicions about the court’s impartiality run deep in a country where Kabila’s influence is widespread.

Last April, two judges who were considered to be the most independent quit. As one of the successors, Kabila named a former legal advisor, Norbert Nkulu Kilombo.

Troubled past

The DRC’s political crisis erupted two years ago when Kabila refused to step down at the end of his constitutional term in office, sparking protests which were brutally repressed.

The vast, unstable country has never had a peaceful transition of power since gaining independence from Belgium in 1960.

It became a battlefield for two regional wars in 1996-97 and 1998-2003, and the last two presidential elections, in 2006 and 2011, were marked by bloody clashes.

The influential Roman Catholic Church, which says it deployed 40 000 observers to monitor the poll, has also dismissed the official outcome as not reflecting the true result.

But it has held back from saying who, in its opinion, was the victor.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

The October election season: Guinea, Tanzania and Cote D’Ivoire head to the polls

October is election month as three presidents seek another term in office. For two, it will be their third

Guinea’s choice will determine its future for generations

We need the eyes and ears of the international community to be alert to assaults on democracy as we run up to the election on 18 October

We should not ignore Guinea’s constitutional coup

Citizens have for a year protested against the president seeking a third term in office despite a two-term limit. Many have been killed — and 90 more people died in this week’s crackdown

Museveni isn’t worried about winning the election, but about what comes next

Uganda’s president is likely to win the next election. But Bobi Wine’s constituency poses the most serious threat yet to his continued rule

The African Union’s (un)official statement on the US elections

The United States has never been shy to pass judgment on African elections. What does it look like when Africa passes judgment on America’s chaotic vote?

Tanzania’s opposition leader on reggae, resistance and his own resurrection

Sixteen bullets and 27 operations later, Tanzania’s main opposition leader has recovered from a brutal assassination attempt – and is now in the middle of an even bigger fight
Advertising

Subscribers only

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Hawks swoop down with more arrests in R1.4-billion corruption blitz

The spate of arrests for corruption continues apace in Gauteng and the Eastern Cape.

Catholic NGO boss accused of racism and abuse in Sudan

The aid worker allegedly called his security guard a ‘slave’

Agrizzi too ill to be treated at Bara?

The alleged crook’s “health emergency” — if that is what it is — shows up the flaws, either in our health system or in our leadership as a whole

SANDF hid R200m expenditure on ‘Covid’ drug it can’t use

Military health officials are puzzled by the defence department importing a drug that has not been approved for treating coronavirus symptoms from Cuba
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday