UN probe accuses Israel of possible crimes against humanity

A UN probe on Thursday said there is evidence Israel committed crimes against humanity in responding to last year’s protests in Gaza, as snipers targeted people clearly identifiable as children, health workers and journalists.

Israel immediately rejected the findings as “hostile, deceitful and biased.”

The UN Independent Commission of Inquiry on the protests in the Occupied Palestinian Territory investigated violations committed during demonstrations in the Gaza strip between March 30 and December 31 of 2018.

“Israeli soldiers committed violations of international human rights and humanitarian law,” committee chair Santiago Canton said in a statement.

“Some of those violations may constitute war crimes or crimes against humanity,” he added.


The commission, set up by the UN Human Rights Council in May, said that “more than 6,000 unarmed demonstrators were shot by military snipers” during weeks of protest.

“The Commission found reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli snipers shot at journalists, health workers, children and persons with disabilities, knowing they were clearly recognisable as such,” it said.

Israel’s foreign minister said the Jewish State “rejects the report outright.”

“No institution can negate Israel’s right to self-defence and its duty to defend its residents and borders from violent attacks,” Foreign Minister Israel Katz said in a statement.

Protests ‘civilian in nature’

Among the most contentious questions surrounding the Gaza protests was whether the Palestinian protesters posed a grave threat to Israeli troops.

The UN investigators stressed that there were reasonable grounds to believe that Israeli troops killed and injured Palestinians “who were neither directly participating in hostilities, nor posing an imminent threat.”

The commission also dismissed claims by Israel that the protests were aimed to conceal acts of terrorism.

“The demonstrations were civilian in nature,” it said.

“Despite some acts of significant violence, the Commission found that the demonstrations did not constitute combat or military campaigns.”

The investigators told reporters in Geneva that they did not have access to the Israeli military’s rules of engagement concerning the suppression of protests.

But, based on publicly available evidence including submissions to Israeli’s Supreme Court, the commission said there is evidence that Israeli troops have been instructed that they can use lethal force against those who may be inciting others to engage in dangerous protests.

The so-called “main inciters” provision is totally at odds with international law and must be removed from Israel’s rules of engagement, Canton told reporters.

The commission said it conducted 325 interviews with victims, witnesses and other sources, while reviewing more than 8 000 documents.

Investigators also looked at drone footage and other audiovisual material.

Israel did not cooperate with the probe or provide access to Gaza.

Hamas role

For Katz, blame should be placed on Hamas, the Islamist movement that controls Gaza.

Those “pushing the residents of Gaza to the fences, including women and children, is Hamas, an organisation whose declared goal is destroying the state of Israel, and is the one to bear the responsibility,” he said.

Canton said the commission considered Hamas’s culpability for the bloodshed, but stressed that because the demonstrations were generally peaceful in nature, Hamas was under no obligation to stop them.

“People have the right to demonstrate, they have the right to assembly,” he told reporters.

“So to put responsibility on the de facto authority for letting those demonstrations happen (is) against international humanitarian law,” he added.

At least 251 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli fire since March 2018, the majority shot during weekly border protests and others hit by tank fire or air strikes in response to violence from Gaza.

Two Israeli soldiers have been killed over the same period.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Ben Simon
Ben Simon
Daniel Ben-Simon is an Israeli journalist and politician, who served as a member of the Knesset for the Labor Party between 2009 and 2013.

Related stories

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa

UN Libya rights probe stalled due to cashflow problems

The UN is currently going through a serious liquidity crisis because many countries have not paid their annual dues, and it is therefore unable to fulfil all its mandates

The case for decriminalising personal drug use

Deputy Social Development Minister Hendrietta Bogopane-Zulu tells the UN that the war on drugs has failed and is suggesting other options to tackle addiction

Trump win will abort health care

Threats of funding cuts has caused a reduction in reproductive and sexual health services

The African Union’s (un)official statement on the US elections

The United States has never been shy to pass judgment on African elections. What does it look like when Africa passes judgment on America’s chaotic vote?

Women accuse aid workers of sexual abuse during the DRC’s Ebola crisis

More than 50 women have accused Ebola aid workers from the World Health Organisation...
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday