French cardinal convicted over sex abuse cover-up

The archbishop of Lyon, the most senior French cleric caught up in the global paedophilia scandal that has rocked the Catholic Church, was convicted of failing to report abuse and handed a six-month suspended jail term on Thursday.

A court in Lyon in southeast France ruled that Cardinal Philippe Barbarin, who was not present to hear the verdict, was guilty of failing to report the abuse of a minor between 2014 and 2015.

“The responsibility and guilt of the cardinal have been confirmed by this judgement. It’s an extraordinary symbol, a moment of huge emotion,” a lawyer for the victims, Yves Sauvayre, told reporters afterwards.

The suspended nature of the jail term means he will not serve time behind bars and Barbarin’s lawyer announced immediately that he would appeal the judgement.

“The reasoning of the court is not convincing,” Jean-Felix Luciani said. “We will contest this decision by all the means possible.”


Barbarin (68), faced long-standing allegations from victims’ groups that he failed to report a priest under his authority to police after learning of abuse which took place in the 1980s and 1990s.

He was on trial along with five former aides at a time when the Catholic Church had been hit by abuse scandals in countries as far afield as Australia, Brazil, Chile and the United States.

The aides were all found not guilty, either because the alleged crimes were too old or unproven. Barbarin faced a maximum three years in prison and a fine of €45 000.

Two other senior French religious figures have been convicted of failing to report child abuse in the past: the archbishop of Bayeux-Lisieux, Pierre Rican, in 2001, and the former bishop of Orleans, Andre Fort, last year.

‘Major victory’

The outcome of the trial, which began in January, had been long awaited in France and the abuse scandal in Lyon has become the subject of a film which is currently in cinemas.

“I cannot see what I am guilty of,” Barbarin had told the court on January 7. “I never tried to hide, let alone cover up these horrible facts.”

The case broke three years ago and lawyers for nine adult plaintiffs — former boy scouts allegedly abused by Priest Bernard Preynat — took legal action.

Since the abuse related to acts committed before 1991, prosecutors had declined to press charges because of the statute of limitations.

But during the trial, victims accused Barbarin of being aware of the abuse allegations from at least 2010 and then trying to cover up the scandal, under orders from the Vatican, from 2015.

Francois Devaux, who leads a victims’ group in Lyon, called Thursday’s verdict a “major victory for child protection”. Devaux was one of up to 85 victims of Preynat, who was charged with sexual abuse in 2016 and is expected to be tried this year.

Preynat was first interviewed by church leaders in 1991 and was prevented from leading scout groups, but he was later allowed to teach children again and held positions of authority.

Barbarin, an arch-conservative who took over as archbishop in Lyon in 2002, only suspended him and stopped him from working with children in September 2015.

Pope Francis last month vowed to an “all-out battle” to tackle every single case of sexual abuse by priests, comparing paedophilia to “human sacrifice”.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Vodacom swindled out of more than R24m worth of iPhones

A former employee allegedly ran an intricate scam to steal 8700 phones from the cellular giant

Come what may, the UIF will pay

The fund – the main safety net for unemployed workers – will run at an almost R20-billion deficit

More top stories

We will find resources to ensure the Zondo commission completes...

Justice Minister Ronald Lamola says his department will ensure the state capture commission is afforded the financial resources to complete its work, despite the treasury’s uncertainty

Covid-19 variant may protect people against reinfection and other variants,...

The 501Y.V2 strain produces strong antibodies, but it’s not known how long immunity lasts, so being vaccinated remains essential

Tobacco industry calls Dlamini-Zuma’s bid to appeal ban a...

The minister could spend the state’s money on fighting Covid-19 and cigarette cartels, tobacco manufacturers argue

Zondo commission: Glencore sold Optimum to portray me as a...

Former Eskom chief executive paints himself as the victim of a plot at the hands of President Cyril Ramaphosa’s former business associates
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…