Ferdi Barnard released on parole

According a Citizen report, former apartheid-era civil co-operation bureau (CCB) agent Ferdinand Barnard was released from prison on Tuesday morning. Barnard was serving time for the 1989 murder of anti-apartheid activist and anthropologist, David Webster.

Barnard was granted parole on March 7 by Minister of Justice and Correctional Services Michael Masutha, who had announced Barnard would be released on April 2.

Barnard was sentenced to life imprisonment in 1998, a decade after killing Webster outside his Troyeville home in 1989. Barnard would later be convicted for the attempted murder of another activist, Dullah Omar, who served in both former president Nelson Mandela and Thabo Mbeki’s Cabinets.

Correctional Services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said that Barnard’s release date was set for Tuesday, April 2, but did not confirm whether the former CCB agent had been released.

Masutha said that Barnard had met all the requirements for his release on parole, but it does not mean that it is the end of his life sentence.


The community corrections office will supervise and monitor him as he serves the remainder of his sentence in the community for the rest of his natural life.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Eyaaz Matwadia
Eyaaz Matwadia
Eyaaz Matwadia is a member of the Mail & Guardian's online team.
Advertising

Malawi celebrates independence day, but the first president left his...

The historical record shows that Malawi’s difficulties under Hastings Banda were evident at the very moment of the country’s founding

Gauteng health MEC Bandile Masuku’s first rule: Don’t panic

As Gauteng braces for its Covid-19 peak, the province’s MEC for health, Bandile Masuku, is putting his training to the test as he leads efforts to tackle the impending public health crisis
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday