‘Worker safety nets inadequate’

NEWS ANALYSIS

The coronavirus pandemic could result in about 25-million job losses worldwide, the International Labour Organisation (ILO) has warned.

In a preliminary assessment note, the ILO called for “urgent, large-scale and coordinated” measures to lessen the effect of Covid-19 on the world’s workforce and economy.

The pandemic will precipitate a rise in global unemployment of between 5.3-million and 24.7-million, the ILO estimated, adding that by March 10 infected workers had already lost nearly 30000 work months, with the consequent loss of income for unprotected workers.

The ILO indicated that “protecting workers and their families from the risk of infection needs to be a top priority”.


This requires implementing measures to protect those facing income losses because of infection or reduced economic activity, as well as accelerating the enforcement of social protections through policy reforms.

Robust and universal social protection systems “can act as automatic economic and social stabilisers in the face of crises”, the ILO notes.

The pandemic has exposed the inadequate protections afforded to workers, many of whom are at the front line of fighting public health crises.

Last week, the coronavirus outbreak in Italy, the epicentre of the pandemic in Europe, sparked nationwide strikes by factory

workers who lamented the limited measures to protect them from infection.

In the United States, the pandemic triggered the lawmakers to pass a coronavirus response Bill, good for one year, which would provide for guaranteed paid sick leave for workers. But the Bill will probably exclude millions of workers, because businesses with less than 50 and more than 500 employees are exempt.

In South Africa, trade unions and civil society organisations have raised concerns about the likely effect the outbreak will have on the working class.

Addressing the nation on Sunday night, President Cyril Ramaphosa declared a state of disaster, announcing a number of extraordinary measures to curb the spread of Covid-19.

His announcement prompted trade unions and others to come up with their own plans to lessen the effect of the outbreak on society and South Africa’s already struggling economy.

On Monday, a meeting of the National Economic Development and Labour Council’s executive committee was convened to discuss its position.

After the meeting, Labour and Employment Minister Thulas Nxesi dissuaded concerns about protections for workers. He said existing legislation — in the form of the Occupational Health and Safety Act — is in place for this reason.

He said that any employers who do not implement these protections would be brought to book. “So it means if they’re not doing that and they’re not giving people the protective gear, which they need, they’re breaking the law.”

But Cosatu general secretary Bheki Ntshalintshali’s prognosis was far from optimistic. “We are not ready,” he said. “We do not have much confidence that all business[es] will take on these things in a very open way.”

He was mistrustful of businesses, saying they would take advantage of the government’s efforts to lessen the effect of the outbreak on revenues, to the detriment of workers.

One of these measures, announced by Nxesi on Tuesday, is the implementation of “a period of reprieve” for companies, which would allow them to suspend contributions to the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF).

“In instances where companies decide to close for a short period as a precautionary measure, the short term UIF benefit will kick in,” Nxesi said.

In an event that a worker is required to be quarantined for longer than 14 days, “such a leave will be recognised as a special leave and that employee will be eligible to apply for unemployment insurance benefits”, the labour department said.

But some have raised concerns that the government’s response to the outbreak has prioritised the protection of big business in the wake of the global economic crisis, instead of taking bold moves that would put social protections above business interests.

Other governments have taken these steps, albeit further along in their own outbreaks: Spain has nationalised all of its hospitals and healthcare providers and Italy has rushed 10000 final-year medical students into service.

A Gauteng Community Health Care Forum newsletter, published on Thursday, says that for the working class to survive the pandemic “the stranglehold of the ruling monopoly capitalist class over the state and over society must be broken. To do this, the working class must organise itself”.

Gauteng’s community health workers will be at the front line of efforts to curb the spread of the virus to the province’s densely populated informal settlements. The province currently has the highest number of confirmed Covid-19 cases in the country.

The workers’ newsletter outlines seven demands to the government to help them succeed in their fight against the virus. These include the temporary expropriation of companies and facilities that produce face masks, gloves, drips, protective clothing and ventilators, as well as employing people in public service jobs.

“This will also offset the deteriorating conditions of working class communities as the pandemic worsens.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Sarah Smit
Sarah Smit
Sarah Smit is a general news reporter at the Mail & Guardian. She covers topics relating to labour, corruption and the law.

Related stories

No mention of Africa when it comes to US foreign policy

During pre-election debates in the United States, very little has been said on how they view one of the world’s largest markets — which, in turn, is determined to come into its own

Eastern Cape universities concerned by rising Covid cases

Fort Hare says 26 more students have tested positive while Walter Sisulu University says some of its students have been admitted to hospital.

Fort Hare students test positive for Covid after partying

The 30 students, who went to a bash at a tavern in East London, were not wearing masks, did not sanitise their hands nor keep to social distancing regulations.

Totally gone mad: Covid-19 and the Trump presidency

Tracing America’s bungling of the containment of the coronavirus, Totally Under Control unveils the deep rot in Trump’s presidency

The challenges of delivering a Covid-19 vaccine in Africa requires a new approach

It is imperative that we train healthcare workers and participate in continent-wide collaboration

The quiet front line battle of South Africa’s rural nurses

The focus may have been on urban nurses during the Covid-19 pandemic, but those in rural areas suffer similar fates. However, very little is known about how they have been able to cope
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Why anti-corruption campaigns are bad for democracy

Such campaigns can draw attention to the widespread presence of the very behaviour they are trying to stamp out — and subconsciously encourage people to view it as appropriate

Tax, wage bill, debt, pandemic: Mboweni’s tightrope budget policy statement

The finance minister has to close the jaws of the hippo and he’s likely to do this by tightening the country’s belt, again.

SA justice delays extradition of paedophile to UK

Efforts to bring Lee Nigel Tucker to justice have spanned 16 years and his alleged victims have waited for 30 years

Former state security minister Bongo back in court

Bongo and his co-accused will appear in the Nelspruit magistrate’s court in Mpumalanga over charges of fraud, corruption and theft
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday